QEC-19-026 Control and Automation System Engineer (Re-advertisement)
Based out of Iqaluit, Nunavut and reporting to the Manager, Electrical Engineering the Control and Automation System Engineer is accountable for the integrity, reliability, and operability of all automation and control designs within the Corporation. This position will advise on automation and control matters to ensure safe, reliable & efficient operations as well as compliance to all provincial and federal codes and standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs detailed electrical engineering design and analysis including but not limited to new installations, modifications of plant main control panels (switchgear, etc.), electric motors with Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), Gen-sets instrumentations, exciters, voltage regulators, breakers & associated controls.
- Resolves complex electrical issues and provides support for investigations and emergency field repairs.
- Supports capital projects during commissioning by providing technical expertise and Project Management services.
- Prepares preliminary and final detailed designs for PLC, SCADA, related communication systems and automation.
- Supports departmental design quality assurance processes and performs independent reviews of design work completed by designers, engineering consultants, and CAD technicians.
- Provides technical and operational support and advice to field personnel for issues related to electrical systems, PLC controlled automation systems, communications systems, protection coordination studies, relay settings, and other related systems.
- Serves as Project Monitor and performs on-site supervision, inspection, performs or witness commissioning.
- Prepares progress reports and technical reviews.
Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Instrumentation Engineering or a related field of study.
- Registered Professional Engineer with eligibility for immediate registration in NAPEG.
- Four years of experience in a utility or industrial setting with experience in PLC based automation systems, telecommunication systems, and power system control and protection.
- Experience in the commissioning of generator sets and substation equipment.
- Experience in digital synchronizer, load controller and automatic voltage regulators.
- Project management training or certification.
- Experience with diesel power generation in remote locations.
- Knowledge of Nunavut, the land, language and culture.
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut, Inuinnaqtun and/or French.
Equivalencies that consist of an acceptable combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
We offer a competitive starting salary range of $104,500 to $123,864, a northern living allowance of $15,016 per annum, eligibility for overtime, a comprehensive benefits package including a defined benefit pension program and subsidized staff housing. This position is included in the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to applicants who are Nunavut Inuit.
To apply email email@example.com or by mail to: Human Resources, Qulliq Energy Corporation, P.O. Box 420, Baker Lake, NU X0C 0A0. Apply in writing.
This posting will remain open until filled.
Applications for this competition may be considered for future employment opportunities with QEC.
We thank all applicants for the interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
15,016 Northern Living Allowance