Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) proudly serves Fortune 500 companies, world champion sports teams, state-of-the-art healthcare providers, the world’s leading educational institutions, iconic destinations and cultural attractions, and numerous municipalities in 19 countries around the world. Our 270,000 team members deliver experiences that enrich and nourish millions of lives every day through innovative services in food, facilities management and uniforms. We operate our business with social responsibility, focusing on initiatives that support our diverse workforce, advance consumer health and wellness, protect our environment, and strengthen our communities. Aramark is recognized as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE, as well as an employer of choice by the Human Rights Campaign and DiversityInc. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
The Controller plans and directs all corporate accounting activities and ensures a robust framework of financial control is maintained and relevant to the business needs of the company. This position will report to the Vice President of Finance for Canada. The Controller plays a key role in defining and implementing monitoring processes to ensure the company has, at all times, accurate and updated information to support the business strategy and to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the Company’s financial statements.
The Controller must be hands on and knowledgeable about the business. This is a contract intensive environment and as such, the Controller needs to ensure the business is administered in accordance with each customer’s contract. This role will need to ensure that the systems infrastructure, the monitoring processes and the personnel under their supervision are appropriate for the business today and in the future. The individual must be familiar with internal controls, accounting policy and procedures and be capable of initiating and leading change in a fast-paced environment.
- Responsible for the reporting of reliable, accurate and timely financial information in accordance with company policy, applicable laws and standards.
- Responsible for ensuring that asset and liabilities of the company are properly controlled and effectively managed.
- Ensures the efficacy of internal controls and compliance with Sarbanes Oxley internal control requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all relevant financial government regulatory bodies.
- Ensures compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Approves capital expenditures and payments as required.
- As an officer of the company, performs such duties as required of an officer including being an authorized signatory to sign contracts in accordance with company policy
- Plans, implements, controls and ensures timeliness of the month end, quarter end and year end procedures and the production of related monthly, quarterly and year-end financial reports and analysis.
- Leads the standardization of accounting processes, including the migration of various processes to Aramark’s Global Business Services team.
- Manages the relationship with GBS and FP&A teams that provide certain accounting, reconciliation and reporting services for the Controller’s organization, ensuring SLAs and quality outcomes achieved.
- Manages the relationship with the external auditors and coordinates year-end audit activities.
- Effectively leads and develops staff in the Controller’s Department.
- Leads systems and process improvements related to financial and accounting operations, ensuring they are being implemented and used properly across the organization.
- Acts as a strong business partner to the leadership team, Sales, Marketing, Operations, Supply Chain, IT and other functions, helping to achieve demanding corporate goals and objectives. Supports functional and operating teams in addressing and resolving financial issues, including bad debts or unusual items.
- Degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance required.
- Must be a Certified Public Accountant. Experience in one of the big 5 accounting firms is strongly preferred.
- Experience in senior financial management and control roles in multinational corporations with complex business models with high level of interaction with international stakeholders.
- Knowledge of and comfort with a contracts-intensive environment.
- Strong technical accounting skills with a track record of maintaining strict financial disciplines and control is essential. Ensure that financial affairs are conducted in compliance with generally accepted local and foreign accounting principles with emphasis on US GAAP, local tax requirements and management reporting requirements.
- Knowledge and experience with financial systems and financial reporting tools
- Demonstrated experience as an effective change manager with a drive to challenge the status quo coupled with a strong corporate finance and commercial/analytical rigor.
- A dynamic people leader, capable of directing, coaching, guiding and motivating a medium sized team of managers and staff. Needs to exhibit superior interpersonal skills and possess an ability to work across organizational lines and manage complexity and scale.
- Experience dealing with top management levels, with the appropriate strategic and professional maturity.
- Thrive in an environment with an agenda for change, growth and innovation and be highly credible and confident in expressing opinions to senior management.
- Excellent communicator, able to relate to all levels and explain complex financial issues to non-financial managers.
- French/English fluency would be an asset.
Please note all candidates considered for hire will be required to successfully clear a criminal background check as a minimum requirement before commencing employment. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request.