Controls / Mechatronic Engineer
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, the Controls Engineer is expected to complete all phases of design related to the electrical control systems and ensure the successful implementation of these systems on varying types of industrial machinery. The candidate must also possess a solid technical knowledge for the integration of programmable logic controllers utilizing IEC 61131-3 defined languages and standards. The candidate should be capable of identifying and producing moderate level company standards, engineering tools, and process improvement initiatives.
- Produce electrical design/program changes to support custom machinery orders, existing product improvements and change requests for assigned product lines.
- Provide timely, complete, and consistent technical support to internal and external business customers as required for assigned product lines.
- For assigned product lines, maintain a fully documented and accurate electrical design and control program that complies with established company and industry standards.
- Support the engineering team to increase output, standardization, and repeatability of designs and programs by continuously improving engineering tools and work processes.
- Must be willing to travel, sometimes on short notice and over weekends, must be comfortable working with service technicians and customers.
- Must be able to work effectively and comfortably with all levels of the organization.
- Must be willing to occasionally work long hours to ensure on-time project completion including evenings and weekends.
- Degree or Diploma in an engineering related field, preferably electrical or mechatronics.
- Registration as a P.Eng with PEO or CET with OACETT considered an asset.
- Minimum five years experience with various PLC hardware/software,
- Minimum five years experience with HMI design and implementation, knowledge of embedded Windows CE panels an asset.
- Minimum ten years experience designing electrical diagrams using AutoCAD Electrical.
- Proven experience in utilizing industrial communication protocols such as Modbus and Ethernet/IP an asset.
- Knowledge of Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD basic considered a plus.
- Knowledge of Mitsubishi/B+R/ Allen Bradley software and servo systems considered a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel up to 30% and often with short notice.