The Data Center Technician assists in all aspects of the Data Center and Co-location Facilities which includes evaluating Data Center infrastructure requirements and coordinating necessary resources to prepare space for new customers and equipment. Support functions include a combination of field maintenance/customer support and occasional activities within the Network Operations Center.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Installation and removal of internal and customer equipment, (e.g. Racks, rack PDU’s, cable management, containment, cages, security and access controls, etc.).
- End-to-End installation and testing of fiber and copper structured cabling and cross-connects.
- Control access cards and building security enforcement
- Various building maintenance tasks
- Monitoring BMS alerts and alarms
- Troubleshooting and Testing of faulty network wiring and coordinating repair.
- Perform professional services such as reboot of servers, restarting services/processes, basic configuration, administration of operating systems.
- Replace failed hardware components on systems, (i.e., RAM, Hard Drives, cables, power supply, PDU’s, etc.).
- General knowledge and understanding of Telecom standards.
- Knowledge of standards for electronics and Power etc. - NEB’s compliance etc.
- General knowledge of Data Center Infrastructure technologies and concepts, (e.g UPS, PDU, Switchgear, Generators, Fire Suppression, Chiller Plants, CRAC/CRAH, general HVAC, etc.).
- Reporting via ticketing systems, end of shift reports, and email.
- Experience with computer software such as Microsoft Office Suite, MS Visio, etc.
- Evaluate Data Center infrastructure requirements (rack space, network, power, cabling, etc.) and coordinating necessary resources to prepare space for new equipment.
- Assist in planning and general maintenance of systems in the Data Center facilities.
- Customer relations
What you can offer to Cogeco peer 1
- 3+ years’ experience in a technical capacity.
- University Degree or Technical Diploma in Technology.
- Experience working in a Data Centre environment is preferred.
- Candidates must be fluent in English verbal and written and must be able to speak French at a conversational level.
- This position requires a valid Class 5 driver's license and clear driver’s abstract.
- This position requires shift work (24x7x365) including night shift and on-call duties.
- May be required to work at nearby Data Center facilities from time to time.
- Must be eligible to obtain secret clearance (Level II).