Data Scientist (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career.
The Potash Business Unit is establishing a Full Potential Office (FPO), with the mandate to oversee, support and accelerate the delivery of transformation initiatives that will strengthen the Potash BU’s operational excellence and introduce innovative new digital solutions.
The FPO will comprise of three groups, a Central Program Management Office (PMO) to oversee results delivery across program initiatives and manage program risks, a digital program team to develop the BU’s digital strategy and drive execution of new digital solutions, and a capability Centre of Excellence (COE) to support program initiatives with critical capabilities.
The Data Scientist is a part of a group of advanced analytics experts in the Centre of Excellence to be deployed to high priority initiatives that require analytical expertise. Working in an Agile environment, the Data Scientist will apply advanced analytics to tackle complex and non-routine business problems to drive to actionable business insights. The Data Scientist will also help identify potential use case opportunities that may be benefit from the support of advanced analytics.
This role will report to the Senior Manager, Centre of Excellence.
What you will do:
- Conduct end-to-end analysis that includes data gathering and requirements specification, processing, analysis, ongoing deliverables, and presentations to translate insights into actionable business solutions
- Build statistical models that leverage tracked metrics from mining sites to identify key opportunities or progress areas from initiatives
- Actively seek and identify where data science can provide value to business areas across the BUs, provide solutions to BUs analytical problems and validate the solution performance
- Engage with stakeholders to ensure that data insights are effectively communicated through the most appropriate data visualization and navigation tools
- Report to the Senior Manager, Centre of Excellence
What you will bring:
- Background in Applied Math, Statistics, Physics, Engineering, or Computer Science; Advanced degree strongly preferred
- 5+ years of experience with data science and statistical analysis
- Examples of domain expertise of interest are: predictive modeling, time series forecasting, computer vision, text mining, graph analytics with strong programming skills in Python or R
- Experience with dashboard and reporting tools such as Tableau and Qlik
- Experience with deep learning tools such as Keras, TensorFlow or Theano is a plus
- Ability to discuss analytics and technicalities to a business audience
- Track record of successful execution of results in a team setting
- Strong communication skills with ability to process and explain complex technical concepts and align organization on decisions
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. In accordance with Nutrien policies, you will be required to undergo a background check and may be required to undergo a substance test. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran