The Magna Exteriors portfolio of products includes access systems such as liftgates, exterior trim, modular systems, front-end modules including fascia, active aerodynamic systems and other lightweight structural components for automotive, commercial truck and other industrial markets.
Recognized globally as an innovator in all aspects of vehicle exteriors, Magna provides everything needed, from materials development and design through manufacturing and assembly, to help automakers create sleek, state-of-the-art vehicles across the world.
Tycos Tool and Die, a division of Magna Exteriors Inc., is a tool shop specializing in building medium to large-sized tooling to support Magna Exteriors divisions globally. Our primary focus is injection molds but our specialties also include hydro-form dies, high/low pressure casting, reaction injection molding, injection compression, compression and insert molding. We are currently executing a growth strategy that will have us expanding our capabilities to support tooling initiatives domestically and in Mexico, the UK, India and China.
The Designer designs moulds, fixtures and components from part drawings, math data or verbal specifications. Designs may be complex and non-routine using Computer Aided Design (CAD) equipment. This position also reviews drawings and supporting documents for accuracy and provides recommendations for improvements in order to meet program objectives.
- Ability to perform prescribed duties and responsibilities independently outlined in all levels up to and including level 3 for fascia tooling (hidden parting line and conventional) and trim type tooling (e.g. rockers, claddings, wheel flares etc.)
- Participate in and support Continuous Improvement and WCM initiatives
- Adhere to applicable quality systems and Support the total Tycos Management System (MAFACT, WCM, ISO-9001)
- Use standard library models to design tools that meet customer/Tycos specifications.
- Complete Training Matrix requirements for Designer Level 3
- Assist in design of tooling at the direction of the Design Team Leader
- Manage single tool design projects when requested
- Collaborate with other Tycos design resources as required for confirmation of tool design concepts relative to part geometry
- Review tool designs produced by our strategic partners in tooling and provide feedback to ensure tools meet the expectations of our Magna Exteriors production facilities. This is to support our global tooling initiative.
- Work closely with estimating and program managers to assist in the development of new tooling and engineering change quotes
- Participate in benchmarking of new tooling and equipment and provide accurate, timely feedback
- Managing engineering changes within design preparing and issuing files both internally and to outsources
- Work together with Design Team Leader to provide key date timing feedback to assist in the scheduling of production.
- Design water, boring mill and 3D contour features working collaboratively to ensure other design disciplines and design for manufacture (build/machine) are considered.
- Complete part feasibility studies on upcoming program parts to ensure all aspects are considered for tool design (cooling, steel condition, proper draft etc.)
- With Designer Team Leader supervision, conduct internal and external design reviews, document results of meetings and implement agreed upon actions
- Mentoring of Designer - Trainees, Designer – Level 1 and Designer – Level 2 team members to assist in holistic designer development
- Flexibility to work outside of core hours as required to meet the demands on the engineering department
- Travel as required for investigational or training purposes
- Participate in the daily review of MAFACT, which includes:
- Safety standards and safety related items
- Quality standards and quality related items
- Cost and cost related items
- Timing and timing related items
- Motivation and motivation related items
- Participate in Risk Assessments of department processes and action plans for improvement
- Be available to all team members for questions and feedback
- Inform Design Team Leader of any additional training or resources required to effectively perform their work
- Perform and ensure team performs all job functions in a safe and healthful manner, abide by all health, safety and environmental rules and regulations, promote safety in the workplace; Enforce safety rules and correct unsafe acts or conditions
- Report all accidents/incidents and unsafe conditions/behaviour
- Maintain work area in accordance with the principles of 5S and operate daily within these standards; Ensure work area is kept neat and organized
- Adhere to and promote the Magna Employee Charter; work within the rules, regulations and guidelines of the Tycos Employee Handbook and follow all Tycos instructions, policies and procedures
- Participate in the performance appraisal process by providing constructive 360 review feedback of peersv
- Minimum completion of Grade 12 diploma
- College diploma / University degree in a relevant technical field, or equivalent experience an asset
- Must have successfully completed the training matrix for Designer Level 2
- Maintain confidentiality and integrity
- Strong working knowledge of Siemens NX Mold Wizard in all facets of tool design
- Assist in the implementation of plans to control and maintain safety, quality, 5S, cost, and efficiency for assigned areas
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with Design, Machining, Build, Scheduling and Management
- Possess a strong mathematical aptitude
- Possess a strong mechanical aptitude
- Ability to analyze reports and department statistics
- Strategic thinker with demonstrated ability to effectively solve problems
- Results-oriented and able to work under pressure
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office e.g. Word and Excel
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills
- Must be available and willing to travel internationally as required for training, benchmarking, etc.
- Must be a team player who is self-motivated with a positive attitude
- Must be service oriented and display attitudes which support Tycos Tool & Die philosophies and goals
- Promote and facilitate positive communication with and between all employees
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.
Profit Sharing Program
Uniforms, Safety Shoes and Prescription Safety Glasses Allowances
Overtime after 40 hours per week 1.5x
Employee Suggestion Incentives
Medical/Dental: Prescription Drugs and Dental 90%