Help us ensure every donor dollar is invested wisely!
As the Director, Community Investment & Capacity Building, you are equal parts visionary, relationship builder, collaborator, strategic social investor, capacity builder, steward and evaluator. You oversee the development and delivery of community investment strategies and capacity building programs designed to be responsive to community needs and deliver on our community plan’s strategic priorities.
You will lead a team that has their pulse on the community to acquire in-depth knowledge of current and emerging social issues facing Winnipeggers, which in turn shapes our investment strategies. As someone who highly values the power of relationships, teams and collaborative action, you excel at working with community, government and private sector partners, as well as enabling meaningful engagement of volunteer leadership. Your appreciation of the importance of evaluation will guide the measurement of the impact of our investments on the wellbeing of Winnipeggers and on the effectiveness and efficiency of our non-profit sector.
Reporting to the VP, Community Impact, the Director, CICB will:
- Provide leadership in the areas of community investment, agency relations, organizational capacity building and volunteer development.
- Lead the community investment framework to support the Community Investment Committee and Agency Liaison Volunteers in their role of stewarding funding agreements and choosing impactful community investment strategies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with agency partners, capacity building organizations and other funding partners to support their work in the community, strengthen existing partnerships, and potentially develop future partnerships.
- Provide a high level of relationship management including facilitating group discussions, ensuring open lines of communications and sometimes resolving conflicting approaches between stakeholders.
- Convene groups for sector or service area issues and lead United Way’s involvement with community outreach, interventions and mobilization within the community.
- Develop and manage United Way’s capacity building initiatives with the not-for profit sector through the delivery of an innovative and contemporary Learning Centre program.
- Lead the development of an integrated approach for a system of volunteer management for the organization overall.
- Provide oversight for impact activities including data analysis, key performance indicator tracking, impact measurement, and research projects.
- Provide inspiration, coaching and mentoring for cross-functional teams to promote profiling of community impact work.
- Post-secondary education in a related field. A Masters Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or other relevant field is considered an asset. An equivalent combination of education and experience would be considered.
- More than 8 years employment and/or volunteer experience in the non-profit social services sector in areas such as community boards, program management and evaluation, issues of access and equity, and budget development and reporting.
- Experience with programs in one of the following areas: newcomers, youth, neighbourhood development, financial empowerment, community development.
- Understanding of grant-making processes and ability to analyze financial data.
- Ideally, experience working with volunteers at all levels of an organization.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to influence, negotiate and manage difficult issues to resolution.
- Ability to lead and coordinate projects.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage constituent relationships.
- Proven organizational abilities, and the ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills including the ability to work respectfully and inclusively with a diverse employee and stakeholder population.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills (both written and verbal).
- Understanding of organizational and/or community capacity building an asset.
United Way offers opportunities for personal and professional growth in a rewarding career! We offer excellent benefits including free health and dental coverage, a defined pension plan, family sick leave and a great vacation package. We also have a flexible work environment, and are a fun and supportive workplace.
Anticipated start date of September 2019.