- Exercise discretionary lending limits as delegated by the Head of Credit Structuring, Commercial Banking to approve quality transactions which are in excess of the approval limits of the Commercial Account Managers.
- Ensuring credit decisions and recommendations are in accordance with sound credit-granting principles.
- Manage risk and minimize losses through monitoring and control reports, ensuring compliance requirements, and verifications are completed in accordance with Bank Policies & Procedures and regulatory, legal and ethical requirements.
- Monitor external environment for changing prospects and trends of key industries to ensure that emerging risks in the portfolio are identified and marketing efforts are directed to industries with acceptable risk profiles.
- Protect the Bank’s assets and maintain portfolio quality by adhering to Commercial lending processes, policies & procedures, legal and ethical requirements and regulations, audit requirements, and established risk guidelines. Ensure all business is in conformity with Bank Policies and prescribed guidelines.
- DCS signs off recommendation on all new business when >$10MM (non CRE/Ag) or LV Deficit >$2MM.
- Document and follow-up on any discrepancies to procedures, with significant operational risk and escalate as required.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and understanding of products, processes, and relevant legal, regulatory and technology requirements through audits and quality checks, to ensure decisions are adequately documented, and clearly communicated.
- Initiate engagement of appropriate Commercial Banking partners and Credit early in the process when significant deteriorating trends are evident, working with them to engage other BMO specialty roles &/or SAMU, as appropriate to ensure Bank assets are adequately protected.
- Ensure the growth of assigned core commercial portfolio / book of business in a manner that aligned to ERPM risk appetite.
- Attend customer meetings and site visitations as required jointly with Regional Vice President or Vice-President Commercial.
- Appraise credit capabilities of account management within assigned region(s) to identify gaps in general credit skills and training needs and recommend formal and informal training, as required.
- Support Commercial account management team in the attainment of targeted customer service levels. i.e. Net promoter scores.
- Support development of personnel by providing input to the Head of Credit Structuring and Institute for Learning on what is appropriate curriculum for the needs of the business.
- Initiate and/or lead internal training activities as required.
- Providing, enhancing and developing credit and structuring skills and capabilities within their community by providing coaching on advanced credit structuring.
- Responsible for the orientation, training and mentoring of new employees requiring credit qualification.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the account management team by providing input to the performance evaluations and the identification of strengths, training gaps and development areas. Attend joint customer visitations as required with Regional Vice-President and/or Senior Management and provide coaching/feedback on customer negotiation and deal structuring skills.
- Provide input and guidance on recommendations regarding level of credit limits for account management.
- Ensure Bank Corporate Policies, Corporate Standards, Lending Directives, and Operating Procedures are interpreted correctly, and that lending transactions meet Bank requirements to ensure the Commercial Lending process functions effectively. This accountability includes providing guidance and assistance to leaders and lenders within Corporate Finance with respect to credit matters.
- Support the profitable utilization of Bank funds and development of specific financing proposals to meet customer and Bank requirements, while balancing the requirement for loan loss experience to be maintained within prescribed quality standards.
- Review and provide input to Head of Credit Structuring regarding commercial lending parameters and operating procedures based on changes in the market place.
- Participate and/or Lead projects assigned by Head, Credit Structuring relative to monitoring portfolio trends and analysis of risk. E.g. CaR, Geographical or Industry Concentrations, Portfolio Reviews for discussion with Senior Bank Executive
Conflict Management & Resolution
Sales & Service Processes
Strategic Business Planning
- Credit adjudication experience
- Portfolio/Account Management experience
- Coaching/Mentoring/management experience
- People management experience an asset
- Credit Qualified with: Approval Limits of up $40MM (Risk Based Limits); Relief Limit for Vice President Commercial Banking
Technical Product Knowledge :
- In-depth understanding of Commercial Products, Commercial Lending Process, Commercial Lending Directive, supporting processes and technology
- Expert knowledge of financial engineering, project financing, loan sales, securitization commensurate with carrying a $40 Million Discretionary limit.
- In-depth knowledge of all other Commercial Banking Lines of Business
- Expertise in key market segments to provide P&C with a current and longer-term perspective on each assigned industry
- Expert knowledge of BMO’s credit philosophy, policies and procedures
- Understanding of financial, political, legislative and current events
- 3-5 year perspective on the evolution and prospects of key industries