The Director, Detail Design for Vancouver Shipyards (VSY) is responsible for managing the spatial layout and design of the ship’s systems plus the subsequent generation of the detail design information to support production at Vancouver Shipyards. The design process takes the outputs from the function design stage and ensures that all components are fitted within the respective design zones. Under the guidance of the Vice President, Engineering, the Director, Detail Design will be responsible for ensuring that the output from the product model supports planning and operations content objectives. The Director, Detail Design will participate in all phases of new construction project implementations including: design preparations, standards development including material standards, project and procurement planning, engineering and project risk management, engineering execution and close-out activities. These responsibilities ensure that the goals and objectives of engineering projects are accomplished within the prescribed engineering plans, schedules and budgets and that the work is in complete satisfaction of the requirements.
- Manage all detail design engineering functions in support of shipbuilding projects.
- Manage external detail design engineering offices with the support of Supply Chain Management to ensure that design work is completed within scope, on schedule and in accordance with quality requirements.
- Provide and manage liaison engineering processes and procedures for on-site support to production.
- Ensure subcontracted CAD modeling efforts on time and within schedule and cost.
- Manage the detail design phase of the engineering design schedule, including spatial layout, design of details, population of detailed bills of materials for procurement purposes, generation of production information for the manufacture and assemble of products throughout the block build, erection joints, zone outfitting and test and trials.
- Provide leadership and direction across all Vancouver Shipyards staff with the aim of promoting the timely and cost effective operation of CAD modeling, standards and process design.
- Generate design reports based of the appropriate design metrics aimed at providing factual information on design effectiveness and application of the design for production principles.
- Direct technical resources and advises IT and MRP stakeholders on all aspects of 3D modeling and drawing issuance to ensure timely completion of all production output elements.
- Maintain part processing and nesting competency to maximize plate utilization efficiency
- Lead pipe spool post processing effort in support of outsourcing efforts.
- Review proposals and scopes of work for CAD related content to establish appropriate budgets and schedules.
- Progress development of design guidance for CAD Modellers to ensure design data are integrated into the CAD model in a manner that is beneficial to manufacturing.
- Approve modeling standard, naming conventions, drawing conventions and production outputs to ensure the resulting work packages for manufacturing are in alignment with VSY work centre layout and block erection sequence.
- Work closely with the MRP team to ensure IFS/Ship Constructor interfaces are captured in a timely manner and resolved cost effectively.
- Develop and/or orchestrate import of catalog date base in support of product model development.
- Development of a well-organized and efficient bill of material based on the thoughtful implementation for the parts coding system to support the MRP system/processes.
- Mentor employees within the Engineering department to develop key skills required by Seaspan.
- Supervise and supporting Engineering Managers in developing and nurturing talent.
- Drive a culture of innovation and engineering excellence.
Education and Mandatory Experience in New Ship Build Construction
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering discipline or Naval Architecture is a requirement. Master’s degree in relevant discipline is an asset.
- Mandatory experience in the shipbuilding industry, with at least 10 years of experience in an engineering focused role.
- Minimum of 7 years of recent leadership experience in new ship build construction in an engineering focused role with a proven track record of delivering quality shipbuilding designs and projects.
- Extensive project management experience preferred.
- P.Eng. EGBC status or E.I.T. status and able to apply for P.Eng. within a year.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Extensive knowledge of Ship Constructor and ARAS.
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate and manage key internal and external stakeholders.
- Entrepreneurial thinker with exceptional degree of ingenuity, creativity and resourcefulness.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Results orientated with ability to plan and deliver to project deadlines.
- Resilient, self-motivated and able to work well under pressure.
- Strong team building and motivation skills.
- An appreciation of and an ability to positively resolve interpersonal issues within a diverse workforce.