DIRECTOR, ENGINEERING (PLATFORM DELIVERY)
Located at 35 Mic Mac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, B3A 4Y8 Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada’s shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 23 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada’s National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we delivered the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we’re just getting started. We’re growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada’s shipbuilding industry and provide Canada’s sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada’s interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada’s current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
This is for a full-time, permanent staff role based in Halifax Nova Scotia. The position involves significant travel to the United Kingdom to conduct company-business. The successful applicant must be able to legally work in the UK. The primary language of work is English.
- Lead, direct and manage a team of managers & Engineers (Capability Leads) in a Complex Naval ship design environment.
- Carry out the role of Prime Contractor for CSC program for Warship Designer (WD) scope of work. This will include working with the Warship Designer at their facilities in the United Kingdom on a regular basis.
- Ensure timely delivery of all warship design analysis and artifacts to support schedule demands.
- Manage Platform Systems Requirements (including Development and Compliance)
- Streamline Engineering processes with an emphasis on process efficiency and right first-time performance
- Constantly review allocation of resources and materials to ensure optimal utilization in order to meet schedule and budget requirements
- Ensure compliance with all Company Environmental, Health and Safety policies and identify and suggest changes to promote safety awareness
- Ensure strict adherence to Company quality procedures and policies
- Responsible for formalizing design rules and supporting measures across business
- Education Required:
- Bachelor’s or Masters degree in Engineering is required; or,
- Bachelor or Masters in a related flied such as Computer Science
- Years of Experience Required
- 15+ years of experience in a naval shipbuilding environment required
- 15+ years of leadership experience
- Proven ability to lead change in a complex and fast-paced environment
- Proven track record in achieving high performance levels
- Proven track record of meeting challenging schedules
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.