You’re in search of an opportunity where you can use your wealth of financial experience to make a big impact on a small but mighty team. You want a flexible role, defined by complex and interesting work. And above all, you want to work for an organization making a meaningful difference.
If this sounds like you, and you’re ready to join an innovative team doing critical work for the Canadian Hotel & Lodging industry, look no further.
Who are we?
We are the Hotel Association of Canada (HAC), the exclusive national organization representing corporate hotel companies, ownership groups, provincial hotel associations, city hotel associations, and independent hotels. The HAC represents more than 8000 hotels, motels and resorts, which employ 304,000 people across Canada.
Our mission is to enhance the prosperity of the Canadian Hotel and Lodging industry through strong member engagement, effective advocacy, and the provision of valued programs and services.
We are now seeking a new Director, Finance and Business Operations, to join our team on a part time basis. If you’re interested in being part of a team dedicated to making a difference for thousands of businesses and people across Canada, this could be your next role.
Director, Finance and Business Operations
As our new Director, Finance and Business Operations, your primary focus will be to oversee our organization’s financial and administrative operations. As part of the HAC leadership team, you will also contribute to the overall success of our organization through collaboration on strategic business planning and initiatives, as well as special ad-hoc projects.
Your role will involve:
- Management of financial resources, budget development, variance analysis, continuous membership model innovation, resource allocation, planning, controls and requirements for facilities and capital equipment
- Preparing annual financial business plans and targets, and operating and capital budgets and forecasts
- Preparing monthly financial statements and management reporting and analysis to support executive decision making
- Preparing consolidated quarterly reporting package (including budget an variance analysis) for Board of Directors, and attending meetings of the Board and its Committees to present financial information and analyses
- Supporting the senior management team with business analysis, membership program planning, and strategic planning
- Managing cash flow and capital spending
- Ensuring the efficient and effective use of fiscal and physical resources through coordination and consolidation of budget requests
- Liaising with external auditors for annual audits
- Full-cycle accounting (including AP, AR, bank and credit card reconciliations and payroll)
- Ensuring account reconciliations, G/L management, monthly accruals, internal expense reporting, fixed asset management, and all tax filings are completed accurately and on time
Like you, the best person for this role is a confident and self-starting accounting professional, with experience leading the finance function of a small or mid-sized organization.
In addition to your solid finance and accounting expertise, success in this role will depend on your ability to work collaboratively with our senior management team. Your knowledge, coupled with your strong communication, interpersonal, and analytical problem solving skills, will allow you to synthesize and deliver complex financial information to them, and provide sound financial guidance. By understanding the details as well as the bigger picture, you will be able to deliver valuable analysis and advice to address the issues that matter most to our organization.
If you’re ready to take ownership of a new leadership opportunity and are hungry for a role in which you can make a significant impact right away, then we want to meet you.
Working with The Hotel Association of Canada
Working here, you will be part of a team whose vision is to be the leading voice of the Canadian Hotel & Lodging industry. We offer a highly professional and dynamic work environment, with a collaborative team who truly enjoy working together. Our team is highly focused, and driven by our mission.
This is a part-time permanent role, with a flexible schedule working three days per week. You will be required to work in our downtown Ottawa office at least two days per week during standard our standard office hours (8:30 am - 4:30 pm).
We are offering a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, as well as benefits and RSP contributions.
- Professional accounting designation
- 10+ years experience leading the finance function of a small to mid-sized organization
- Solid knowledge and understanding of full cycle accounting, financial statements, budgeting/forecasting, year-end functions
- Proficiency in QuickBooks or QuickBooks online
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills, with experience using Excel for the purpose of complex accounting and financial analysis
- Experience with Sage would be an asset
- Experience in a not-for-profit organization or association/membership-based organization is a plus but not required
How to Apply
Our online application will give you the option to apply to this role as a complete person – not just a resume. The application will assess your qualifications, personality traits and workplace preferences, and should take 10 to 15 minutes to complete. After submitting, you'll receive an email inviting you to log in and view your assessment results.
We strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the community we work in and encourage applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, people identifying as LGBTQ2SI, veterans, and people with disabilities. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please contact us using the “Help” button.
We will review applications, with priority given to those who have completed the assessment and look forward to hearing from you.