Reporting to the President, Staples Business Advantage Canada, this position develops national marketing strategies, manages development and implementation of marketing and oversees communication programs that support general awareness, customer acquisition, penetration and retention including; prospecting programs, sales literature, target account campaigns, database marketing campaigns, trade shows, and advertising.
Leads all Staples Business Advantage Marketing and Communication initiatives across all lines of business and all customer segments including Large Market, Mid Market, Membership and Corporate Managed programs, supporting sales activities for 350+ sales representatives, 100+ customer care representatives and the National business..
Champions the Staples Business Advantage brand and all associated subsidiary contract brands in Canada. Manages all external and internal communications, including external stakeholder relations, corporate social responsibility communications management, internal management of critical associate communications, external management of critical customer communications including recalls and all translation requirements.
Manages the budgets and activities of department projects and programs including digital assets such as ecommerce banners, email campaigns and hardcopy assets such as flyers, catalogues, mail drops, sales literature etc.
Provides leadership, operational focus and functional expertise in Marketing and Communications
Contributes leadership to the National Executive team.
- Provides leadership and coordination of company marketing function, supporting all Marketing and Communications within Staples Business Advantage Canada
- Participate in Executive meetings and planning sessions
- Work collaboratively with Sales and Merchandising to create integrated, collaborative plans to support the overall business growth strategies
- Lead a team of Marketing and Communications Team Members, to delivery increased shareholder value by providing superior Return on Investment through marketing efforts
- Represent Staples Business Advantage Canada on Marketing related topics and projects within the larger Staples organization.
- Leverage Marketing efforts of the larger Staples organization within Staples Business Advantage Canada
- Design and execute the Strategic Marketing Plan with all associated templates, work session designs and planning approaches to support the overall Strategy Business Plan
- Plans, develops and implements the company wide Marketing Strategy and the development of the annual marketing plan and budget
- Works collaboratively with Sales and Merchandising in the development of the Integrated Commercial Plan in the form of an annual calendar for customer marketing, merchandising, sales and learning & development activities, covering all areas of customer contact including sales promotions, customer care promotions, promotional events, sampling, eMarketing, flyers, catalogues, messaging, new product introductions, sales contests, Key Supplier Program campaigns, Strategic Category Growth initiatives and Brand Initiatives
- Leads the planning, development, design and execution of catalogues and flyers – encompassing English and French production of over 15 periodicals and catalogues annually
- Champions the corporate brand and Owned product brands within Canada, providing guidelines, reviewing and approving brand usage consistent with the brand guidelines
- Develops and tracks metrics and success criteria for all marketing programs and activities
- Manages the development and communication of clear, consistent and effective promotional programs
- Develops and manages advertising and placement of advertorials and advertising
- Leads all product marketing responsibility in Canada for Business Essentials, Technology, Facilities, Furniture and Print/Promo
- Leads the development of sales literature, Procurement Business Review, New Business Tile Tool and other tools (case studies, templates, sales collateral, etc.) to assist Sales in promoting the company value proposition to acquire new business and penetration customers
- Develops prospecting campaigns for use with the Business Development Sales Team
- Leads the development of key marketing messages.
- Determines which local advertising avenues will be utilized and communicates plan to sales representatives.
- Develops and implements process improvements to improve the quality, quantity and timeliness of programs.
- Responsible for coordinating all trade shows, events and symposiums that support the growth of the business (PMAC, Educational Forums, Customer Advisory Boards, Customer tradeshows, etc.)
- Provides functional Marketing support to all other functional areas
- Focus on increasing revenue, margin and customer retention through Marketing activities.
- Leads the development of all public relations and communications strategies, including press releases
- Manages the budget and relationships regarding translation
- Responsible for all French translation
- Leads the internal management of high-level and critical associate communications
- Responsible to lead and manage all customer recall communication.
- Minimum of ten (10) years management experience in the marketing field
- Minimum of five (5) years of senior management experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or Communication
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, preferred
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Strategic leadership and general management skills
- Strong planning and analysis skills in multiple areas of marketing and business strategy
- In depth understanding of all aspects of Marketing, Communications and Business to Business Sales
- Professional written and verbal communication
- Collaborative, Team Player with strong interpersonal skills, able to work effectively within the Executive Team, other Business Departments and other Staples family marketing teams
- Ability to motivate teams, produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects
- Strong project management skills, budgeting and planning skills
- Solid financial and analytical skills
- Strong negotiation skills
Staples is an equal opportunity employer and an accommodation will be provided during the hiring process if requested.