Here's To Your Journey with Westin
At Westin, we are committed to empowering the well-being of our guests by providing a refreshing environment, thoughtful amenities, and revitalizing programming to help ensure that they leave feeling better than when they arrived. We recognize that travel can be disruptive to our guests’ well-being, and we’re energized to assist as partners in helping them maintain control and soaring above it all while on the road. Everything we do is designed to help guests be at their best, and they appreciate our supportive attitude, anticipatory service and extensive knowledge on how to best assist them throughout their stay. We are looking for dynamic people who are excited to join the team and ready to jump into any situation to give a helping hand. If you’re someone who has is positive, adaptable and intuitive, and has a genuine interest in the well-being of others around you, we invite you to discover how at Westin, together we can rise.
The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver, located at 1601 Bayshore Dr, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6G2V4 is currently hiring a Director of Banquets.
Accountable for the overall success of the Banquets Department. Demonstrates knowledge by leading the team to accomplish daily goals. Ensures the highest level of service by training and developing staff and executing the requirements of events based on standards. Drives customer satisfaction and capitalizes on revenue during the event phase of a function. Provides clear and concise communications to everyone having ownership in the success of the event. Monitors and controls financial and administrative responsibilities to meet or exceed department goals.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the event management, food and beverage, sales and marketing, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; 2 years experience in the event management, food and beverage, sales and marketing, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Banquet Operations
- Projects supply needs for the department, (e.g., china, glass, silver, buffet presentations, props).
- Applies knowledge of all laws, as they relate to an event.
- Uses banquet beverage “Use” records to control liquor costs and manage the banquet beverage perpetual inventory.
- Ensures accurate customer billing for banquet events.
- Ensures coordination and execution throughout the event.
- Attends pre-conference meetings to ensure specifications of the group event are well executed.
Leading Banquet Team
- Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.
- Leads shifts and actively participates in the servicing of events.
- Leads discussions to review scheduled events and proactively avoid service challenges and failures.
- Incorporates guest satisfaction as a component of departmental meetings with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Assists team in developing lasting relationships with groups to retain business and increase growth.
- Manages department controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Anticipates guests'' needs and responds promptly.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Handles guest problems and complaints.
- Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
- Strives to improve service performance.
Conducting Human Resources Activities
- Communicates and executes departmental and property emergency procedures and ensures staff are trained in safety procedures.
- Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals and/or managers.
- Interviews and hires management and hourly employees with the appropriate skills to meet the business needs of the operation.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Monitors and manages the payroll function.
- Schedules banquet service staff to forecast and service standards, while maximizing profits.
- Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
- Effectively schedules to business demands and for tracking of employee time and attendance.
- Celebrates successes and publicly recognizes the contributions of team members.
- Strives to improve employee retention.
- Ensures employees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
- Sets goals and delegates tasks to improve departmental performance.
- Provides additional training to employees of other departments when additional assistance is needed for larger functions.
To apply now, go to: https://jobs.marriott.com/marriott/jobs/19171433?%3Flang=en-us/&src=JB-11
Marriott International is consistently recognized as an employer of choice globally by FORTUNE magazine, DiversityInc and Great Places to Work Institute, among others. Visit www.marriott.com/careers to learn more about our workplace culture and career opportunities.
Chat, engage and follow us on social media.
@lifeatmarriott on Snapchat
So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
Notification to Applicants: The Westin Bayshore, Vancouver takes seriously its obligations under the applicable provincial legislation and will provide accommodations to job applicants needing assistance. If you require an accommodation in relation to this job posting, our online application or an interview, please call 905-366-5227 or email CanadaApplicationAccommodation@marriott.com and a member of our Human Resources team will respond to your request. Please note that this phone number and email are only for those individuals who would like to request an accessibility accommodation as part of the recruiting process.