Director of Construction
Our client is a large retail chain that is expanding and currently searching for a Director of Construction. The focus of this role will be mainly on the construction of large warehouse/distribution facility projects and real estate development.
The Director of Construction is responsible for all phases of construction projects including designing and implementing project plans, communicating directly with contractors concerning project cost, staffing and scheduling and preparing project status reports, ensuring plans adhere to contract specifications. This role is responsible for overseeing the effective and efficient administration of capital construction projects.
This role does not directly supervise employees however the individual will oversee hired construction crews and will ensure contractors perform work to scope, quality and safety expectations.
Duties & Responsibilities
Project Site Management
- Work with the Asset Manager to execute the strategy for making the project happen including planning, budgeting, master and detailed scheduling
- Provide oversight to the project ensuring the construction team is monitored over the full lifecycle of development project
- Ensure the timely procurement of materials and appropriate scheduling of resources, ensuring schedule adherence during execution work ensuring end date completion as per schedule
- Planning to prevent problems on site before they occur, for example. planning the delivery and storage of equipment and materials: resolve any emerging ones by developing recovery strategies when project schedule or budget are in jeopardy
- Prepare and submit construction project budget estimates and plan and prepare construction schedules and milestones and monitor progress
- Negotiate terms of agreements, draft contracts and obtain permits and licenses upon request
- Onsite and offsite constructions to monitor compliance with building and safety regulations
- Assist in securing new work by participating in estimates, working with subcontractors and/or participating in proposals and presentations and tender closings
- Ensuring safety of the work site is a top priority, conducting safety inspections of the site when work is underway and ensuring regulations relating to health, safety and the environment (HSE) are strictly adhered to
- Review the project in-depth to schedule deliverables and estimate costs, and reviewing the work progress on daily basis
- Prepare internal and external reports pertaining to job status
- Ensure quality construction standards and the use of proper construction techniques are consistently adhered to
People Relationship Management
- Preparing the site and liaising with other construction professionals such as architects, engineers, construction contract administrator, estimators, and surveyors before construction work starts
- Communicating with a range of people including the client, subcontractors, suppliers, the public, and the workforce continually serving as an ambassador for the company, both internally and externally
- Coordinate and direct construction workers and subcontractors as required
- Visit the jobsite(s) daily (or on a set schedule) to facilitate communication, expectations and effective project management
- 10+ years of relevant experience specifically in the management of Warehouse or large distribution facility construction projects.
- Degree or diploma in construction project management or a construction related major required
- Professional license in Engineering or accreditation as a Project Management Professional are an asset but not required
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of construction law required
- 7-10 years in a progressive construction management capacity
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills necessary
- Proficient in MS Excel, MS Word, MS Outlook, and be willing to learn new software as required
- Must be able to drive daily to various location and therefore must have a reliable vehicle with valid insurance and G-license in good standing
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and priorities simultaneously with a proven track record of consistently exceeding targets
- Analytical thinker and roll-up-your-sleeves problem solver
This is a permanent full-time position which will pay a competitive salary depending on experience level.
Please send all qualified resumes to
Modern Technical Staffing