Position: Director, International Sales (Business)
Location: IRD Corporate Office 702-43rd Street East Saskatoon, SK
Who We Are:
International Road Dynamics (IRD) integrates software and hardware technologies to develop industry-leading solutions to unique and challenging transportation problems to make intelligent transportation happen. From Smart Cities to Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, IRD helps governments and industry improve roadway efficiency, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and save lives. With 40 years of industry leadership, today IRD offers a growing portfolio of integrated services, solutions and knowledge to improve the planning, operation and management of roadways everywhere (around the globe).
Being a team member of IRD:
Join our growing team!! For members of our talented team, IRD offers a comprehensive benefits package with employer-paid premiums, RSP matching, an ongoing commitment to training and monthly team building events.
About the Opportunity:
Working from our Saskatoon head office, under the direction of the Chief Operations Officer, this position leads our international sales efforts, ensures international market and customer needs are understood, provides market intelligence to product and solution development and manages the international sales team.
With comprehensive international sales experience and preferably (but not mandatory) an engineering/technology background, you have the confidence to forge new relationships, the courage to think differently about how things get done and the ability to listen effectively. You embrace new things, are open to different perspectives, adapt quickly to an evolving environment and energize those around you by collaborating in a team environment. You’re enthusiastic, self-directed, and able to work independently with a wide variety of people in a fast-paced environment, enjoy analyzing data while managing multiple tasks and strive to continuously improve processes and service delivery. You take the initiative on issues, pride yourself on your ability to clearly articulate customer needs and translate these into cost-effective solutions. You understand the importance of precision and follow-through in selling technically complex solutions and enjoy being the customer advocate and voice in product development conversations. If these traits describe YOU, then please read on!
What you’ll do:
- Continue building our global presence in the Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) space and develop new customers markets
- Cultivate direct sales relationships internationally to support IRD’s strategic sales plan
- Generate, respond to and follow up potential international sales opportunities
- Lead RFP responses for international sales opportunities
- Negotiate terms and close deals!
- Work closely with our existing network of global partners to position them for success in their local markets
- Help our partners in assessing and defining customer needs
- Ensure our partners understand IRD’s solutions capabilities for inclusion into sales proposals/RFP responses and communication to the customer
- Assist partners in the preparation of RFP responses and necessary supporting collateral
- Lead, manage and develop the International Sales Team based out of Saskatoon head office as well as other overseas locations
- Supervise day-to-day activities of the team
- Ensure Customer commitments are met by monitoring on-time and on-budget delivery of IRD systems, products and service sales
- Ensure a thorough understanding of IRD’s product set and solutions offerings
- Ensuring Customer commitments are met by coordination of IRD systems, products and service sales
- Develop effective sales and customer communication skills within the team
- Continually evaluate the RFP response process and IRD’s success ratio in bidding situations
- Work collaboratively with our subsidiary offices to maximize our international customer understanding, sales coverage and success ratio
- Actively participate in the IRD Leadership and Management teams, enabling IRD to meet it’s short and long-term objectives, by representing International Sales Team and customers
- Educate the internal IRD team on international ITS market trends and opportunities
- Ensure customer and market needs are clearly articulated and understood in the development of effective solutions
- Assist Product Management in assessing product/solution gaps vs market needs or trends
- Positively advocate and communicate international market needs to internal partners and work collaboratively to maintain market-relevant solutions
- Professionally represent IRD internationally as an ITS expert
- Prepare, contribute input and deliver white papers and presentations about IRD solutions and ITS trends
- Attend trade shows and other venues to connect with potential customers, decision-makers and legislators
- Travel the world as our brand ambassador
- If you still have time left over, assist with ad hoc projects as requested by the COO and/or CEO
Who you are:
- Working from a strong technical base, you have a strong working knowledge of the steps required to develop and close large-scale international sales. An engineering background is preferred but not a necessity.
- You have a demonstrated track record of selling to international governments, directly and indirectly, as well as transportation-related industries
- You apply productive critical/analytical thinking to identify and understand customer requirements and build solutions that meet both customer and company needs
- You pride yourself on your initiative, organizational and time management skills enabling you to manage multiple projects, priorities and deadlines simultaneously
- You are meticulous with high attention to detail and accuracy, despite multiple interruptions, yet apply strong problem-solving skill to ensure efficiency and effectiveness
- You work well in a team environment demonstrating respect, encouragement, and collaboration/cooperation but are equally effective leading and guiding others as a manager
- You are articulate in oral and written English and can communicate effectively with internal and external customers and build strong relationships
- You effectively adapt in a changing environment, supporting multiple clients, by following established processes/procedures, but are equally adept at modifying/ designing processes and procedures/requirements to enhance service delivery
- You always challenge yourself to improve upon the status quo, are eager to be the best at your craft and take the initiative to learn and adapt new technology/systems
What You've Done:
- All the stuff we said about What You’ll Do, above … plus
- Developed international markets in the technology, engineering or construction sectors and demonstrated the ability to work effectively through partner networks
- 5 or more years of leadership of an International Sales Team and sales quota
- Demonstrated excellent knowledge of the nuances of internal sales and partner management, sales forecasting, relationship management and sales conversion, preferably through experience in a business to a government sales environment
- Proven your proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and advanced knowledge of Customer Relationship Management software
What You’ve Accomplished:
- Opened up new markets, internationally
- Worked with technical teams to deliver world-class solutions
- University degree with a technology background or equivalent working experience
Bonus Points if You have:
- Fluency in additional languages a definite asset
- Strong financial understanding and/or MBA
Just So You Know:
- The hired candidate will be required to complete a reference and background check
- While this role is located in Saskatoon, considerable international travel is required
What You’ll Experience:
A fun, professional and supportive team that respects and appreciates everyone’s contribution to our success.
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar and encourage unconventional thinking to solve problems and gain insight into our business. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and a flexible work environment with great benefits and competitive pay.
If this feels like YOU or you have most of what we’re looking for and are willing to learn the rest, then we want to meet YOU!
So Now What?
If this role looks like a good fit for you, we want to meet you! Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. As an equal opportunity employer, IRD values diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status and we are committed to treating all people in a way that enables them to maintain their dignity and independence. While we thank all applicants for their interest in the position, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Anyone needing accommodation in the application process or needing the job postings in an alternative format, please let us know.