The Director, Program Contracts is responsible for management and administration of all Canadian Government contracts in support of new vessel construction by Seaspan Shipyards under the National Shipbuilding Strategy (NSS). Department accountabilities include contract development, negotiation, interpretation, administration, and reporting.
- Represents Seaspan Shipyards in all contract negotiations with the Government of Canada (Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC)) for all NSS contract related matters. Acts as the single point of contact for contract development, negotiation, interpretation, administration, and reporting.
- Responsible for the effective contractual management, procedures, and reporting, on behalf of Seaspan Shipyards, of all contracts between Seaspan Shipyards and the Government of Canada, including:
- Formal correspondence control and distribution;
- Providing status reports, as may be required under the Contract;
- First level Contract interpretation;
- Tracking and status of Contract action items;
- Prepare and makes presentations on all Contract related matters;
- Managing contract amendments and review change order requests and/or proposals in order to ensure that contract details accurately reflect the agreed upon scope, price and schedule between Seaspan Shipyards and Government of Canada.
- Submittal of timely and accurate invoices to Government of Canada as prepared by Program Finance for all payments as outlined in the terms and conditions of the contract(s).
- Reviewing warranty claims raised by the Government of Canada after delivery of vessel to ensure claims are in accordance with contract terms and conditions and are resolved to the satisfaction of the customer.
- Consults with Seaspan Shipyards legal counsel on complex contractual matters and interpretation in developing contractual documents and positions.
- Attend project review meetings (Program Management Reviews, Program Design Reviews etc.) and reviews internal plans to assist senior members of the program team in establishing work plans for each phase of the project using JD Edwards, MS Excel and MS Project to ensure contract compliance.
- Provides leadership to the Program Contracts department, including hiring, performance management, development of people, and team effectiveness.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Completion of Business or Finance Degree or equivalent education and work experience.
- 8 or more years of experience as a Contract Manager interfacing with the Government of Canada.
- 5 years of leadership experience.
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM), Professional Project Manager (PMP) certification or certified Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP) considered an asset.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Extensive knowledge of management, procedures and terms and conditions for complex and highly specialized contracts.
- Highly effective leadership skills including development of individuals, team effectiveness and communication skills.
- Proven track record and considerable experience in the establishment, ongoing management and maintenance of multi-million dollar contracts.
- Demonstration of exemplary business ethics, integrity and honesty in all situations.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills including written, listening and presentation.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize work and to problem solve in an inclusive manner with internal colleagues and external parties.
- Exercise sound business judgement and decision making skills in a manner consistent with the essential job functions.
- Strong negotiating skills for both new contracts and change orders to existing contracts.
- Strong customer service orientation and diplomacy skills.
- Ability to work effectively with limited direction and function as a key team member.
- Intermediate level computer skills including Microsoft Office suite (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Project).