Position Title:Director, Risk and Controls
Team and Location:Risk & Controls, Calgary, Alberta
Parkland is unique. We fuel communities by safely delivering high-quality petroleum products to motorists, businesses, consumers and wholesale customers across North America. Through unrivaled dependability and service, we connect communities to the products they need to heat their homes, fuel their industries and drive their economies.
Parkland is strong. We are one of North America’s fastest growing and largest independent distributors and marketers of fuels and lubricants. Our family includes Bluewave Energy, Columbia Fuels, Elbow River Marketing, Island Petroleum, Fas Gas Plus, Farstad Oil, Les Pétroles Parkland, Pioneer Energy, Sparlings, Superpumper Inc., Ultramar, and most recently Parkland Refining (B.C.) Ltd.
Parkland is growing. Our organization is powered by effective leadership, progressive strategies and industry-leading best practices — but more importantly, it is driven by talented, customer-focused people who value integrity, innovation and quality. We are looking for good-natured, hard-working candidates who want to build a rewarding career in a dynamic and collaborative work environment. We are a family and our family continues to grow.
Reporting to the Vice President of Risk Management the Director, Risk and Controls will oversee the internal audit activities across Parkland’s various business units, including enterprise risk management, C-SOX and both operational and compliance matters.
The successful candidate will bring a commercially-focused, value-add, risk management mindset and demonstrate a track record of ‘thinking outside of the box’ and driving significant innovation in the delivery of internal audits.
- Lead the development, implementation and maintenance of the Annual Enterprise Risk Management program to effectively manage risks and to support the achievement of Parkland’s objectives;
- Proactively plan, coordinate, and oversee risk-based audit assessments and take responsibility for the delivery of the overall Internal Audit Plan;
- Lead and/or assist with financial, operational and fraud risk assessments, business process reviews/improvements, C-SOX compliance and special internal investigations;
- In collaboration with the VP, Risk Management, communicate risk and control matters to Senior Leadership and the Audit Committee;
- Collaborate with management and executives to ensure delivery of value-add projects that are aligned with business needs and key risk areas;
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders as a valued business partner;
- Review and appraise the adequacy and effectiveness of compliance, financial, and operational controls, and promote effective internal controls;
- Lead the development of Parkland’s business continuity plan (BCP);
- Recommend internal control improvements, including operational improvements;
- Manage internal and external audit and certification programs to ensure continued compliance with all applicable policy, procedure and regulation;
- Manage audit teams through project scheduling, scope, design, fieldwork procedures, reporting and monitoring of recommendation implementation;
- Issue reports to the Audit Committee and Management, summarizing results of audit activities;
- Coordinate, manage and monitor budgets related to internal projects and external vendors; and
- Continue to enhance and evolve the Internal Audit function in line with the Institute of Internal Audit (IIA) Standards.
Qualifications and Skills
- CPA (CA preferred) designation required;
- Minimum 10 years of post-designation experience;
- CIA designation (preferred);
- Demonstrated track record of bringing innovation and commercially-focused project execution approaches (essential);
- Experience with application of data analytics and visualization (preferred);
- In-depth knowledge of audit methodologies (CSox regulations and processes) GAAP guidelines and IIA Standards;
- Experience in interacting with / reporting to senior leadership teams and audit committees;
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to lead a broad and complex portfolio, combined with the technical depth to provide hands on support and guidance when needed;
- Demonstrated leadership skills, particularly in the areas of initiative, mentorship, coaching, influence and change management;
- Demonstrates energy and a drive to succeed; follows through on commitments; pushes self and others to deliver exceptional result;
- Proven ability to prepare and effectively present materials for senior management both verbally and written; and,
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with proven ability to work cross functionally.
Our main priority at Parkland is our people. As an employee, you can expect a fair workplace, a professional work environment, competitive compensation, outstanding benefits, and a share in our success through the Employee Share Purchase Plan and our Annual Incentive Plan.
Our preferred method of application is online at www.parkland.ca
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest in Parkland, however, only those being considered will be contacted.
Parkland Fuel Corporation is committed to the principles of Employment Equity.
We strive to provide accessibility in employment to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. Parkland Fuel Corporation will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability, please notify us upon scheduling your interview.