Reporting to the Vice President, Business Technology Solutions, the Director, Shipyards Business Technology Solutions provides leadership in establishing technology strategy and delivers technology-enabled solutions and services to Seaspan Shipyards.
This role closely collaborates with senior business stakeholders and WashCorp IT to innovate the use of technology and drive improved business results. The position provides direction and mentorship to the IT team with a focus on instilling a service-oriented culture. This role is a champion for continuous improvement and proactively identifies, drives and implements initiatives to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of services.
- Leads all technology delivery focused project management and governance activities across Seaspan Shipyards, delivering business and systems change initiatives.
- Leads all application support activities related to Seaspan Shipyards, ensuring effective support for key processes and systems.
- Leads, develops and motivates high-performing cross-functional teams of technical and business resources.
- Partners with business senior leadership to leverage technology to increase business performance and/or reduce risk.
- Retains accountability for achieving overall scope, schedule and budget on all IT related projects.
- Leads and facilitates governance activities with senior leadership (C-level) to prioritize opportunities and initiatives.
- Remains current on industry trends and technology disruptors to assess opportunities and risks for Seaspan.
- Develops roadmaps for key systems and technology which enable long-term business performance improvement.
- Develops and nurtures effective partnerships with WashCorp IT, external vendors and other Seaspan teams.
- Forecasts financial requirements and prepares annual IT budgets, working collaboratively with the Enterprise IT group.
Education and Experience
- A university degree in the field of Computer Science, Information Systems, Business or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years relevant work experience, including 5 years’ in an information systems management or senior project delivery role.
- Experience conceptualizing and delivering large scale technology-enabled business change within a complex business environment.
- Experience working with and extensive knowledge of processes and interactions within PLM, ERP, MRP and analytics systems within an Engineering, Custom Manufacturing, Marine or Ship Building environment.
- Experience working effectively with multiple stakeholders at all levels of an organization.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Proven ability to lead and motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Exceptional service orientation and the ability to present ideas in business and user-friendly languages.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (both written and oral), and negotiation skills.
- Encouraged by challenges, can-do attitude and overall positive approach to tackling difficult situations.
- Superior analytical, evaluative and problem-solving abilities.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Expert knowledge of various system development life cycle approaches (Agile, Waterfall, etc.), project management best practices and methodologies.