The Toronto office of Smith + Andersen is currently seeking an experienced Electrical BIM Technician. You are qualified in contributing to the design of building services, such as Lighting, Power, AV & Communications, and Fire Alarm & Security, and possess excellent Revit modelling skills. You are a team player who is highly motivated with great communication skills. You will work under the direct supervision of a project engineer or designer and will have the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of projects including healthcare, commercial, residential, education, and many others.
Does this sound like you? If so, here are some of the more detailed responsibilities you can expect in this position:
- Adhere to company BIM standards.
- Perform assigned design tasks within a given time.
- Prepare Autodesk Revit drawings from sketches, mark-ups, and/or design of electrical building systems.
- Verify modelled content against sketches/markups to ensure accuracy of work.
- Perform electrical load calculations for base building projects.
- Familiar with structural, architectural, and mechanical models to appreciate space limitations and interferences.
- Develop various electrical systems layouts in co-ordination with the structural, architectural, and mechanical components of a building.
- Capable of sizing/designing services in accordance with office standards and local codes.
- Check layouts of electrical services for interferences with other components of the building such as structure, ceilings, millwork, etc.
- Any other tasks assigned by Project Managers required to assist in the completion of projects.
A few more qualifications which will help you with these responsibilities:
- College diploma from an architectural or electrical building services program; or a related field with relevant work experience.
- One to five years of direct industry experience in electrical building services.
- Knowledge of electrical distribution, fire alarm, lighting, security, communications, and/or audio-visual systems are preferred assets.
- Knowledge and experience working with Autodesk Revit 2017 or newer is required, with exposure to electrical layouts and systems.
- Experience with shared parameters, scheduling, family editing, etc. is an asset.
- Working knowledge of Autodesk AutoCAD, AutoCAD MEP, Navisworks Manage, and Dynamo software.
- Knowledge of all Microsoft Office suites, specifically Word and Excel.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills.
- Highly innovative and motivated with an attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to accept direction.
- Flexible, adaptable, and have a positive attitude.
- Able to work independently, as well as contribute to the team.
For more information about Smith + Andersen, please visit our website at www.smithandandersen.com
Appropriate accommodations will be provided to candidates upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process. Successful applicants will be advised of Smith + Andersen’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Smith + Andersen is a trusted Canadian consulting engineering firm with offices in Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, London, Toronto, Ottawa, and Halifax. Founded in 1965, Smith + Andersen has organically grown from an established reputation as trusted mechanical and electrical consultants, reaching new levels of engineering and design excellence in the communications, security and audiovisual fields, and providing enhanced services such as lighting, building automation systems, and intelligent integrated systems design. Thanks to their client-focussed approach, Smith + Andersen is able to apply efficient, sustainable, and reliable design and engineering solutions on the most exciting projects across Canada. From fully-integrated hospitals and welcoming schools, to healthy workplaces and secure transit stations, their team has established lasting relationships with public and private sector clients across the country.