The Electrical Draftsperson (internally job-titled as Electrical Systems Specialist) is responsible for generating and reviewing cable design, termination design, general electrical standards and cable and termination component datasheets. The position also supports the development of the CMPIC engineering model for design and build. The Electrical Systems Specialist will also be responsible for interaction with all stakeholders associated with the electrical systems including design engineers, the client, the production team, production planning, the Test and Trials Team, QC and procurement to ensure their requirements are met and addressed. This role interacts very widely across Vancouver Shipyards (VSY), at multiple levels and both Internal and External. It will be common for the Detail Design Engineer to be interacting with the Client, VSY Design Partners and Suppliers – so communication skills (written and verbal) need to be exceptional. The role also requires influencing people who are not direct reports.
- Develop and maintain electrical system production and design standards.
- Develop and maintain electrical system material specifications.
- Develop and maintain electrical system component datasheets.
- Support the development and implementation of CMPIC models for design and build
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of applicable developments in electrical components and designs.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a Technical Diploma is required
- Minimum 10 years in-depth experience in Electrical Drafting Design in Shipbuilding (or similar Industry).
- Knowledge of AutoCAD software and document control systems
- Experience and Knowledge to use ShipConstructor is an asset
- Experience and Knowledge to use CMPIC is preferred
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Demonstrated effective communication across a variety of disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to develop solutions to complex technical problems
- Demonstrated knowledge of AutoCAD software.
- Demonstrated knowledge of CMPIC software.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Exercise sound judgements and make decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions and corporate philosophy