We’re Vital. We build products that combine cutting-edge science and intuitive design in ways that make measuring health and taking action accessible by everyone. Our mission is to democratize technology that puts people in control of their health.
This is a massive goal, and we're just getting started. We're looking for special people to join our team to help us make it a reality.
At Vital, we thrive on change, operate on trust, and leverage diverse perspectives from the people on our team in everything we do. We operate at a rapid pace and we push key decisions to folks on the front lines across all of our teams. Our culture is fundamentally based on having a growth mindset - which means Vital is the kind of place where you can make an impact, somewhere you want to invest your talent and energy, and do your life’s best work. As a workplace, we challenge and support you to hone your craft and be a part of something bigger than any of us.
If everything you've read so far excites you, check out our jobs below. We can't wait to meet you!
We are looking for electrochemical scientist and product leader with a strong background in biosensing system design and experiments to help develop new sensors and sensing systems for future Vital product. The individual we are seeking will have hands-on experience developing biosensors from initial perception to functional prototypes. Additionally, the individual will have ample experience generating, analyzing, and reviewing the data from experiments. The successful candidate will offer established expertise in electrochemical sensor development, validation, and specimen analysis for biomarkers. They will design, develop, model, specify, and test innovative biosensing systems for Vital products within Vital’s R&D team. This position will require an innate ability to combine the inherent strengths and weaknesses of modeling and experimentation to arrive at sensible system design decisions.
What you will be doing
- Design, develop, and test electrochemical biosensors;
- Transfer sensor designs from R&D to Manufacturing;
- Provide technical leadership for membrane processing, coating, and characterization methods with porous polymer, ionomer, polyelectrolyte, and composite membranes;
- Develop robust membrane formulations for electrochemical applications;
- Write and review Study Documents such as SOP, Validation Protocols, Validation Reports, Sample Analysis Plans and Reports;
- Generate, analyze and review data;
- Perform human and animal sample testing;
- Adhere to laboratory and department policies and procedures to include Quality Control, Quality Assurance and Safety;
- Conduct multidisciplinary communication with R&D team.
What you will need
- Master or Ph.D. in chemistry, analytical chemistry, electrochemistry, material science or a related field;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience, or 3 years of relevant experience with a PhD or Master’s degree;
- Excellent working knowledge of amperometric and potentiometric sensors for diagnostic applications;
- Working knowledge of electrochemical analytical techniques;
- Strong background in electrochemical impedance spectroscopy and/or inductive sensing;
- Aptitude for troubleshooting assays and instruments;
- Experience with enzyme stabilization and immobilization technologies;
- Experience with polymer synthesis;
- Working knowledge of polymer chemistry and material science;
- Track record of sensor development;
- Experience in process development, DOEs and transfer to manufacturing;
What would be desired for you to have
- Demonstrate entrepreneurial aptitude;
- Capable of quickly learning and interpreting data sets through deep market research;
- Ability to adapt and perform in a fast-paced and fluid environment of a start-up;
- Possess technical aptitude and analytical abilities;
- Highly professional communicator, oral and written;
- Ability to multitask effectively;
- Eager to learn and contribute in a team setting;
- Appreciation of puns.
Access to Protected Health Information
This position will require the employee to handle Protected Health Information (PHI) for duties related to provider credentialing, complaints and grievances, claims issues, Medical Management issues and risk and compliance issues. Access to the PHI contained in the claims, Medical Management and provider credentialing systems is necessary for this staff member.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Vital is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Why you should work here
With our company size and growth you will have many opportunities to be an inspirational and collaborative team member. Desire to be a critical part of a growing company while continuously learning both personally and professionally? This is what you are looking for!
We are actively building our strategies, structures, and process so this role will be busy and expanding. You will also have opportunities to be a mentor for other team members and create something that changes the face of healthcare. You will grow as the company grows, you evolve as we evolve. We despise stagnation!
The role will be initially based at the University of Guelph in Guelph, Ontario, for approximately four (4) months, and then out of our main office in Mississauga, Ontario.