GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents and the Pacific region. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 10,000 people delivers projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics.
Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
Due to continuing growth, we are seeking an Environmental Engineer or Scientist with experience in environmental investigation and remediation to join our Spill Response Team in our Vancouver, BC office.
Emergency Spill Response:
- Required to be available 24/7 to assist with emergency spill response work for clients
- Spills may include train derailments, pipeline releases, trucking accidents, chemical spills, etc.
- Emergency Preparedness and Planning:
- Assist in preparing emergency response plans, participation in emergency exercises, and provision of training to clients, etc.
- Participate in emergency spill response projects
- Responsible for contractor oversight tasks including containment/confinement of spills, drilling, monitoring well installation, soil excavation, product removal, stream rehabilitation, site restoration, etc.
- Conduct water level monitoring, soil sampling, groundwater sampling, surface water sampling, and air monitoring
- Assist with preparation of regulatory submissions on behalf of clients
- Create draft reports to be reviewed by supervisor or project manager
- Build charts and figures for review by project manager
- Assist in the preparation of project related memorandums
- Assist Project Manager with proposal writing
- Researching regulatory information using various resources
- Manage projects including coordination of field activities, lead field personnel, analytical set up and working with subcontractors
- Coordination of technical resources and personnel including drafting, database, chemistry, and staff through project duration
- Assist with special projects as needed
Desired Skills & Experience:
- B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Engineering (Environmental, Civil, Geological, Chemical or equivalent). Minor in business administration would be an asset
- 0 - 3 years' experience required, co-op experience would be considered a benefit
- Flexible work schedule, ability to work weekends, nights when required
- Previous experience working in a consulting environment
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Office
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are vital to this role in order to effectively express technical information to multiple audiences including subcontractors, field staff, clients, colleagues, etc.
- Work as a team member to exceed client expectations
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- High level of attention to detail, analytical skills along with time management skill to be able to meet deadlines
- Field work will require working long hours, working in inclement weather conditions, and lifting up to 50 lbs
We offer an opportunity to be part of a growing and dynamic employee owned company, a professional working environment with career development potential, flexible hours and a competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience in a privately held, quality driven and client focused company.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.