Coast Mental Health (Coast) is one of the largest mental health non-profit societies in Canada, and operates a large array of innovative housing and community based rehabilitation services for people with a mental illness living in and around Vancouver. Coast operates in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia providing approximately 1000 people with supportive housing and 4000 clients living in the community with a wide variety of programs and services.
Coast fosters a client-driven, recovery-oriented environment that promotes restoring health, personal growth and a return to society for individuals with a mental illness through advocacy and providing direct programs and services.
Under the direction of the Director of Employment Services, this position is responsible for assisting in the day to day operations and maintenance of Coast employment services, by helping develop, implement and evaluate program staff strategic plans, goals, objectives and policies for programming, also by performing such tasks as administrative tasks, providing supervision to and ensuring program maintenance and safety. In addition this position is responsible for supporting the direct delivery of employment support services to Coast Mental Health and ensuring that all staff deliver employment services to Coast clients.
- Develops, implements & evaluates within the department, Coast framework and strategic plans both strategic an action plan with goals, objectives and policies for Coast Employment programming and it’s function to increase employment opportunities for Coast clients.
- Assist in program budget duties such as developing budget submissions, preparing and presenting budget justifications and presentations, exercising signing authority, monitoring expenditures, following up on anomalies, and taking action to resolve problems.
- Supervises staff by performing such duties as, assigning work, providing feedback and evaluation, determining training requirements, support on client and employees issues, orientating new staff and maintaining attendance and payroll records and resolving staff problems.
- Consults with and build key relationships with the employer community, partners, supplies and health care professionals to identify trends, needs, and priority employment related and health issues while creating opportunities for work experience/ external job placements.
- Will make decisions on behalf of Coast within the department and organization framework and employment strategic plans. Will solicit new employment opportunities for program participants.
- Participates in recruitment and selection of staff by performing duties such as screening applicants, participating on interview panels, providing input into the development of interview questions and making hiring recommendations.
- Work with Coast Communication to promote Mental Health and wellness to the employment community and agencies. Highlights the day-to-day employment success stories via social media, website, and other marketing channels.
- Provides direction to the employment staff and clubhouse staff team, to assist in the development and implementation of employment placement strategies for successful transition to external work placements for members including the employment preparation, support and supervision of members in the program. May include supporting staff in the development and training in the area of resume writing, interview skills preparation, employer expectations, job-related skills, and or customer service skills.
- Creates or updates training manuals or other training materials for member bases on the above training areas.
- Provide instruction and job skills training with staff and through on-one-one or group instruction.
- Maintains the monthly program client statistics as per the employment program goals and contracted agreements.
- Applies crisis intervention techniques utilizing community agencies as appropriate.
- Carries out other administrative and financial tasks such as petty cash, payroll, Imprest and others related to the operation of Employment Services.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Diploma in Business or Marketing, plus 2 years work experience in social, health or related field. Vocational counselling experience with the psychiatric population considered an asset.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience being in a supervisory capacity.
- Knowledge of local labour market Federal and Provincial wage subsidy programs and placement incentives.
- Knowledge of vocational, housing, mental health and addictions issues and community resources.
- Valid BC driver’s license and motor vehicle
Typical Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with people with a mental illness.
- Strong marketing and strategic planning skills
- Ability to facilitate, organize and lead promotional and marketing activities
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and in cooperation with others.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to organize and prioritize.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients.
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Is physically and mentally able to perform the duties.
- Has a sound knowledge of psychosocial rehabilitation principles.
- Ability to problem solve, including dealing with a crisis situation
- Computer and administration skills are required.
***Employees of Coast must apply within seven days of the posting date with their internal account (Coast email address registered) to be considered as an internal applicant. Current Coast employees who apply to this posting using external accounts or after the 7 day deadline will be considered as external candidates. Seniority will not apply.***
Coast Mental Health is committed to creating a culture of diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion or disability.