Engineering Co-Op, Fort Saskatchewan, AB
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career while earning a competitive salary and great benefits.
The purpose of this position is to support the Engineering team and develop industry-based technical skills.
What you will do:
- Assist senior specialists in detailed technical evaluations such as fitness for service, root cause failure analysis, project reviews
- Update legacy construction piping specifications based on ASME B31 codes and develop cross reference to equivalent Process Industry Practices specifications
- Review Nitrogen plant inspection database for specific piping damage mechanisms and update the risk-based inspection model and inspection strategies
- Support the monthly metric reporting for the Mechanical Integrity group including analyzing trends to identify problems and opportunities in the overall
- Technical evaluations
- Update legacy piping specifications and develop cross reference table
- Update RBI model for specific piping damage mechanisms
- Monthly metric updates and Plant Based Leadership scorecard management
- Work under the direction or a licensed professional engineer who takes responsibility for the work products
- Within prescribed processes or as directed, completes basic technical reports/analysis/ transactions, by applying subject matter knowledge related to a materials or mechanical engineering usually associated with a professional engineer.
- Delivery of these services incorporates transactional advice.
- The job has considerable variety and is mentally challenging. It is not overly physical. While not foreseen at the present time, there is a chance that presence in a wide variety of physical locations, extreme weather conditions and in areas with limited accessibility when site support is needed.
- Primarily an office environment with little potential for travel. Travel, if required will be by air and car to various sites in Alberta. Travel and visits to sites, if required, will be short duration (no longer than 3 to 4 days).
- Job requires the ability to provide creative and well thought out solutions to mechanical and material engineering challenges, as assigned.
What you will bring:
- Working toward a BSc in Mechanical Engineering or Materials Engineering
- 2-3 work terms completed
- Must be able to climb stairs and ladders, sit for long periods of time, and perform many job duties remotely using phone and email.
- Engineering co-op student pursuing a degree in materials or mechanical engineering. Preference is for work terms 4 and 5
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, planning, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Ability to organize, coordinate and accomplish multiple tasks
- Experience working with MS Office® is required
- Knowledge in pressure vessel, piping codes, heat exchangers, pumps, compressors and NDT inspection techniques is an asset
- Experience working with ASME piping codes is an asset
- Knowledge of corrosion mechanisms is an asset
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Experience with Visions® inspection database software is an asset
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter