Engineering Manager, System Safety and Certification
Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence.
This is a (1) permanent full-time role located in Halifax, NS
This position will be responsible for developing and managing a Product Safety and Product Environmental capability for the CSC project, as well as supporting Naval Material Authority Certification. The role will require the development and execution of policies, management systems, plans and procedures. This position will report to the Senior Engineering Manager. It is expected that this function will provide input and guidance to shipyard Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental team, but will not manage that scope.
This role requires a breadth of knowledge across the platform, associated systems and National Statutory requirements. Examples of the areas that the incumbent of this position will require knowledge and experience in, but not limited to are as follows:
- Hazardous Materials and Industrial Hygiene
- RADHAZ (Safety Code 6 requirements)
- System Hazard Identification and Safety Control Development
- Development of a Safety Case for a Surface Combatant
- Safety Verification & Validation techniques
- Shipyard Safety requirements
- Safety at Sea (Preparation for Sea Trials)
- Develop and sponsor the ISI Product Safety & Product Environmental Policies
- Develop and implement a CSC Safety and Environmental Management System (SEMS), engaging with the DND and RCN where appropriate
- Establish and support the Platform Safety and Environmental Committee
- Develop and implement a Safety and Environmental Program in accordance with the SEMS, and in conjunction with the DND and RCN
- Develop and implement hazard identification and management methodology • Work with PMO to develop subcontractor safety and environmental protection requirements
- Promote positive Safety & Environmental culture within the Project
- Integrate Certification and Class Notation into the Safety & Environmental Program
- Develop and maintain Whole-Ship Safety Case Reports in accordance with the Safety Programme
- Provide guidance to all stakeholders in respect of Product Safety
- Chair the Hazard Working Group
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with ISI personnel and external stakeholders
- Ensure resource requirements are identified to the Senior Engineering Manager
- Support a culture of collaboration, enthusiasm and a proactive nature within the Project
- Be a role model for professional behavior
Qualifications & Experience:
- Degree or other tertiary qualifications in a discipline of Science or Engineering
- A minimum of five years’ experience within the following fields:
- Establishing and implementing Product Safety and Product Environmental Programs in complex and highly regulated Defence environments
- Application of military safety standards, e.g. Mil Std 882E, Def Stan 00-056/00-051 etc.
- Establishing and implementing a hazard management methodology, consistent with DND/RCN policies and good practice, including application of the ALARP concept
- Managing safety risks and developing mitigation strategies
- Development of robust and compelling safety arguments for Duty Holder acceptance
- Development of Safety and Environmental Cases and Case Reports
- Establishing and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including customers
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary commensurate with the experience of the Candidate and benefits package including but not limited to medical, dental and vision.
For additional information please contact: Aimee Wragg at firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.