SLR is a leading global consulting firm. SLR teams provide consulting and advisory services to various sectors including oil & gas, industry, built environment, federal government infrastructure, mining & minerals, power, and infrastructure. We provide our clients with advice and support from a network of responsive and growing offices in North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Australia and Africa.
Our "one team" culture is the foundation on which our company is built. Our culture has been cherished and nurtured through almost 30 years of growth, more than 20 mergers and acquisitions, and expansion to five operating regions. The health and safety of our staff, clients, business partners and communities where we operate is central to that culture
SLR offers rewarding careers to all of its staff and values and rewards customer care and commitment as well as technical expertise. SLR provides a healthy and dynamic work environment, challenging career opportunities and competitive compensation and benefit packages. If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding opportunities for personal and professional growth, come shape your ambitions with SLR.
For more information, please visit http://www.slrconsulting.com
SLR has an opportunity for an Environmental Practitioner in our Nanaimo, British Columbia office. The role includes implementation of data collection programs (field work) and report writing.
Other duties include preparation of health and safety plans, coordination of field programs, supervision of subcontractors (driller and excavation), preparation of field notes and environmental summary reports for work conducted, environmental monitoring of construction projects, data entry and analysis, and soil, sediment, surface water, groundwater and soil vapour monitoring and sampling programs.
- Participation in all facets of environmental or contaminated site projects including PhaseI and II ESA and remediation projects. Includes project coordination, field sampling, and reporting
- Conducting field programs involving sampling and monitoring of soil, sediment, surface water, groundwater, soil vapour and remediation system operation and maintenance
- Conducting independent analyses, interpretations and conclusions
- Preparing a variety of environmental reports
- Planning, reporting and tracking schedules and budget, all as part of project financial management
- Identifying opportunities with existing and potential clients and work with other staff to develop these opportunities
Technical Skills / Abilities / Experience:
- Minimum 1 year of experience in contaminated site assessment and remediation programs preferred (previous co-op or internship experience considered)
- Experience with various remedial techniques (i.e. excavation, ex-situ treatment, in-situ treatment, and risk assessment)
- Understanding of regulatory requirements for site assessment and remediation in British Columbia
- Knowledge and practical application of health & safety requirements unique to subsurface investigations and contaminated sites
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated skill in technical report writing
- Familiar with project management concepts, tools, and financial controls
- Knowledge and practical application of Health & Safety requirements unique to subsurface investigations, ground disturbance and contaminated sites
- Work well independently including ability to work alone in remote locations and adapt to conditions/resources
- Exposure to other environmental consulting services (i.e. hydrogeology, air quality, risk assessment) is an asset
Education / Qualifications / Memberships:
- Degree or a technical diploma in environmental science, engineering, geology, hydrogeology or related studies
- Professional status or eligibility for professional status with a professional organization (e.g., GIT, EIT, AAg in BC)
- Valid driver's license
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with, supervise and direct employees and contractors
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy, commitment to technical excellence, client care and safe work practices
- Positive and energetic personality and work ethic