Why work for Lafarge?
Lafarge in Canada is proud to provide construction solutions in the infrastructure market in Western Canada. Lafarge is fast becoming one of the largest construction companies in Western Canada in the construction of infrastructure projects. We utilize our tremendous resources with high performance products from our cement, aggregates, ready-mix concrete, asphalt, and concrete products divisions. Lafarge takes personal growth and development to heart, and provides resources for our employees to take control of their own careers. Through our commitment to communities, to the health and safety of our employees and their families, or through the many volunteer hours of our employees, Lafarge demonstrates our care for people. If you want to work in an environment that values hard work, entrepreneurship, and collaborative teamwork, Lafarge is for you. Building Better Cities is what we do. Come Build a Better Career with us! More information can be found at https://www.lafarge.ca/en/careers
The Intermediate Estimator within the Western Canada Region Construction division will be part of a team to increase the volume of construction work in Western Canada. Your focus will primarily be directed to larger construction pursuits such as LRT projects, major interchanges, bridge structures, major roadwork projects, port, rail and heavy infrastructure in the major cities of Western Canada. Many of these projects will be design build projects and you will participate in the development of the design concepts prior to estimating. The Intermediate Estimator will play a key role in developing sound estimates to successfully land these projects and will directly contribute to a “One Lafarge” vision by incorporating and utilizing all of Lafarge’s materials into bids.
- Ensures all aspects of his/her role are executed in a safe manner.
- Ensures vehicle is operated and maintained according to best practices.
- Obeys safety guidelines when on construction sites and Lafarge operations.
- Participate and provide input into an efficient design
- Provide constructability review comments
- Develop and implement site investigation requirements
- Participate in writing construction methodology for the Proposal
- Reviews Request for Proposal documents including general conditions, specifications, drawings, tender form, and required price breakdowns
- Identify ambiguities and unique technical requirements of the bid or as put forward by the bid team and prepare questions for the client, if appropriate
- Conduct accurate quantity takeoffs, review with team
- Evaluate proposed construction methodologies to determine the best solutions based on cost, quality, and availability of materials
- Develop detailed cost estimate for all items utilizing past cost data as backup
- Solicit and evaluate subcontractor and supplier quotations
- Develop risk assessment in concert with estimate team
- Develop schedule for project sequencing
- Liaise with in-house departments (safety, quality, environment, etc.) to ensure all project requirements can be achieved
- Attend project pre-tender meetings when necessary
- Participate and present final cost estimate to senior management in bid reviews
- Collaborate with Superintendents and Project Managers when preparing bids.
- Assist in the development of Co-op Students and Junior Estimators
- Ensure the estimate file is finalized
- Prepare and present a detailed handover of the estimate to the project construction team
- Work with the project team and Job Cost Accountants to prepare job tracking data (i.e. schedule information and financial costs codes c/w budgets)
- Attends project pre-construction meetings, if required
- Help project team construction manage project, depending on your skills
- Help project team with change orders
- Provide guidance and assistance to the project team on specific items related to the project bid/award phase
- Site visits during construction
- Participate in the Lessons Learned session at completion of the project.
- Review and analyze actual project costing and production information against estimates, and develop historical past cost database
- Diploma or Degree in Engineering.
- Equivalent Field Experience (Trades) will be considered
Experience and Skill Set:
- Minimum of 3-10 years estimating experience.
- Experience in bridge, concrete or other heavy civil construction
- Experience in the road building and civil construction industry
- Understanding of estimating software, (Bid2Win would be an asset).
- Understanding of scheduling software utilizing Microsoft Projects/Primavera P6
- Understanding of software programs such as AutoCAD, Excel, Word, Bluebeam
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills in English
- Negotiation and change management skills
- Ability to foster and grow a strong safety culture
- Independent thinker
- Team Player
- Attention to Detail
- Problem Solving
- Interpersonal Savvy
- Time Management
- Drive for Results
Why work for us?
Working for Lafarge offers a wide variety of career opportunities that utilize your abilities and skills to contribute to a better world. In addition to local and global developmental opportunities, we provide employees with competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefits plan, a health & wellness program with financial incentives, an extensive global e-learning platform and much more! More information can be found at:
We thank you for your interest. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Lafarge is committed to the principles of employment equity and encourages the applications from women, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.