The Executive Assistant provides administrative and confidential support to the Vice President, the direct reports of the Vice President and the Superintendents at Vancouver Drydock. This involves taking minutes, preparing correspondence, letters and documents, compiling and distributing reports, data entry, scheduling business meetings and appointments, as well as performing reception and general office administration duties including human resources input and documentation for trades staff.
This position also provides business administrative duties to ensure office processes run smoothly including managing employee file related documentation, servicing customers, coordinating office events and meetings and supporting projects.
This position reports directly to the Vice-President and General Manager, Vancouver Drydock and indirectly to the Director, Operations.
- Provides general administrative and secretarial support for the Vancouver Drydock management and employees, ensuring a smooth office operation. This includes but is not limited to daily prioritization and organization of routine tasks such as: answering the switchboard, responding to in person and phone inquiries, receiving and distributing mail, arranging courier delivery, entering requisitions, ordering stationery, picking up and delivering items, maintaining posting boards in the yard, preparing correspondence, making travel and accommodation arrangements, overseeing the maintenance of office machines, photocopying, filing, and assisting management with other tasks as required.
- Researches, analyses and compiles information and prepares or updates reports and statistical information.
- Understands strategic priorities and manages the workload accordingly by demonstrating superior prioritization and time management skills.
- The incumbent arranges meetings and conference calls, develops administrative procedures, reviews and summarizes documents, monitors and follows up on time lines, receiving and distributing mail, processing invoice payments, expense statements, cheque requisitions, and ensuring availability of required supplies.
- Anticipates the Vice President’s administrative needs and pro-actively takes appropriate action. Prepares summaries or weekly reporting for the Vice President.
- Coordinate notification of hires, status changes and layoffs with Trades Supervision and Human Resources, Payroll and Safety. Processes employee and contract access cards for Vancouver Drydock.
- Prepares and inputs hiring and lay-off documentation, processes vacation requests. Activates new hire and rehires including entering into JDE Enterprise One and updating employee information (e.g. rate changes, shift changes etc.) and communicating changes to payroll.
- Administers the Drydock’s petty cash by logging expenses, replenishing petty cash, and preparing reports, to simplify the reimbursement process for small purchases.
- Coordinates and oversees complex office duties, such as the timely submission of required information, compilation of information or analysis and problem-resolving of administrative and procedural issues.
- Assists with on-boarding of new salaried employees.
- Proactively implements new administrative procedures when appropriate, by demonstrating initiative, seizing improvement opportunities, and liaising with other departments and staff to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Maintains overtime and vacation records for all employees ensuring that both banked time and time paid out are accurately recorded and vacation forms are accurately filled out.
- Organizes and assists in the organization of company functions and special events by arranging venue, catering, and event materials, and liaising with all suppliers to ensure a successful event.
- Assist Commercial Manager with job set-up in JD Edwards including activating and deactivating work order numbers.
- Produces a daily Project Manager report for the VP & GM, Director, Operations, Project Controls Specialist and Project Managers so they are able to keep track of how many hours each trade is charging to each project.
- Enters requisitions into procure-to-pay for all employees with super-user knowledge to advise on requisition status’.
- Assists with internal audits for Vancouver Drydock.
Education and Experience
- Completion of Grade 12 education, plus post-secondary courses in office administration.
- A minimum of 5 years Executive Assistant/Office Manager experience in an office environment.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Knowledge of JD Edwards is an asset.
- Experience working within an industrial environment preferred.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Knowledge and experience with office equipment and administrative/office procedures.
- Good verbal and written English communication skills.
- Good mathematical, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Flexible and adaptable when dealing within an ever changing environment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
NOTE: This is a 12-month limited term employment opportunity, including health benefits.