Why work for Lafarge?
Lafarge in Canada is proud to provide construction solutions in the buildings, infrastructure and industrial segments. These solutions are built with high performance products from our cement, aggregates, ready-mix concrete, asphalt and road construction, and concrete products divisions. From the use of alternative materials and recycling to renewable energy, Lafarge's focus is to develop innovative products that can contribute toward sustainably constructed building solutions. Lafarge takes personal growth and development to heart, and provides resources for our employees to take control of their own careers. Through our commitment to communities, to the health and safety of our employees and their families, or through the many volunteer hours of our employees, Lafarge demonstrates our care for people. If you want to work in an environment that values hard work, entrepreneurship, and collaborative teamwork, Lafarge is for you. Building Better Cities is what we do. Come Build a Better Career with us! More information can be found at www.lafarge.ca/en/careers .
The Field Safety Supervisor provides expertise and administrative support in the area of health and safety. Reporting to the GM and working under the direction of the H&S Manager, and with the WCAN health and safety team to create, and maintain the required databases through tracking and recording safety related activities as recorded and reported by the respective operations.
The Field Safety Supervisor ensures safe procedures, practices and training records are kept up to date, and ensures compliance with OHS laws and regulations at the Federal, Provincial, Municipal level, as well as the Lafarge safety systems as it applies to successful product manufacturing and delivery, project management, and client satisfaction.
This role supports the operations to ensure Lafarge continues to lead the way in safety excellence and employer of choice.
- Provide direct H&S support to site Safety Committees, Management and Employees.
- Work with H&S Manager & WCAN H&S Analyst to ensure H&S related data are gathered on a timely bases and input in the relevant databases and websites.
- Maintain the tracking mechanisms for leading and lagging H&S indicators.
- Develop and maintain a positive and proactive relationship with the operations as well as the WCAN H&S team.
- Support site management and safety committees in review and implementation of H&S priorities, tool box talks, best practices, safety observations, FLRAs and SSDS.
- Follow-up on HSMS, COR audit/inspection recommendations to ensure all items have been completed on time and assist with removing any barriers to completion.
- Assist the operations in their responsibilities with regards to management of health and safety issues.
- Assists in the development of documentation required for HSMS requirements.
- Assist in the analysis of training needs and participate in the delivery of safety communications and programs to support the Lafarge Health and Safety Management System.
- Participate and assists in the development and sourcing of new safety products ensuring consistency and financial prudence.
- Develop tracking for safety related training modules and programs reflective of applicable legislative requirements as well as Lafarge safety standards, policies, procedures and practices.
- Assist in creating H&S safety manual and reference materials as required and directed by the H&S manager.
- Respond to information requests from operations.
- Provide general office support.
- Other duties as required.
- Ability to work flexible hours as dictated by the requirements of the position, including extra time at peak intervals
- Mature attitude and ability to work effectively independent of supervision
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to attend to detail, ensuring accuracy and timeliness
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Identification of development requirements and solutions related to Safety Management skills
Relationships with Other Jobs:
- Work under joint supervision of General Manager and H&S Manager
- Works with and guides site management and plant/site employees on implementation of Health & Safety Management Systems, processes and training.
- Interface with peers in other Business units/geographies in the development of programs and systems
Education & Work Experience:
- University Degree, College or Technical Diploma in H&S related field is an asset
- 5 years’ work experience in construction or industrial site (H&S, Operations, HR)
- 3 years of H&S related experience is an asset
- Previous experience demonstrating skills in project management, operations, or production
- Experience in a unionized environment is an asset
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Capable of working on multidisciplinary team and independently
- Demonstrated strong problem solving skills
- Ability to think quickly in high stress situations
- Capable of maintaining composure in fast past industry
- Strong ability to influence and lead others at all levels in the organization
- Demonstrated strong application user skills for MS Office including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Influencing others
- Customer focus
- Team player
Pre-employment medical including drug & alcohol testing and a criminal record check may be required.
Through LafargeHolcim’s 2030 Plan, Lafarge is committed to providing solutions using sustainable manufacturing practices and improving the environment in and around its operations. The company has a sixty year history in Canada and works continually to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, restore wetlands for native plants and animals, and identify waste materials that can be recycled and used in our operations.