Overview / Responsibilities
Wood in Calgary is recruiting a Field Support Engineer-Piping for our Downstream & Chemicals office to work at the project Site in Fort Saskatchewan. This position is fixed term for approximately four months period only. No relocation assistance will be provided.
Work as a Field Support Engineer and be responsible for the integrity of the piping installation and pre-commissioning and accountable for the piping engineering decisions made at site or by referral to the Engineer of Record in the home office.
- Responsible for all field decisions regarding Piping Engineering and installation support • Supervising CADD operators for production of as-built and field drawings• Planning and supervising all site QA/QC programs including underground piping, concrete, NDT testing and compaction• Competent in the use of the site document control system• Coordinating engineering requirements between site and engineering offices• Assisting the contractors with clarification, interpretation interference resolution and QA/QC related matters• Ensuring instructions, drawings and specifications for scope changes are issued in a timely manner• Assisting in the management of the Site Safety Program• Proactively working with contractors to ensure project safety, quality, schedule and cost objectives are being achieved• Being fully versed with the design drawings, specifications and construction contracts• Ensuring construction conforms to the drawings and the specifications and that consistent construction practices are followed in all areas• Assisting the project team with the reviews and estimates for contract extras and monitoring the actual daily costs submitted by the contractors• Monitoring during the 3-week look-ahead schedules submitted by the contractors and reporting deviations and activities not being met by the contractors to the construction manager• Monitoring the contractors on approved Quality Control Programs; performing all inspections required through to the equipment tagging procedure, the civil works, concrete pours, equipment installations, all piping installations, testing and assist with the pre-commissioning program• Submitting daily progress reports to the site construction office outlining items of concern such as safety observations/directions, non-conformance with the specifications and drawings, equipment and weather delays, site clean up, congestion, infrastructure, workmanship, quality control and potential contract extras• Updating the site-wide deficiency lists to be issued at weekly construction meetings
Skills / Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering
- Must be registered as a Professional Engineer or be eligible to register as a P.Eng. with APEGA.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a construction, engineering or project management role for large, industrial projects in a petrochemical company preferred. The position requirement would also include work experience in a construction coordination role.
- Knowledgeable in construction methods, practices, quality assurance and field engineering mandatory
- Hands-on field experience in operations and reliability / maintenance engineering, inspections and workshop repairs and turnarounds will be considered an asset
- Knowledge of the following codes: B31.1 Power Piping, B31:2 Fuel gas Piping and B31.3 Process Piping, Z662 and API Codes
- Detailed knowledge and proven application in all aspects of Piping Materials
- Keep abreast of latest technology for piping materials and investigate technical acceptability of new products and methods.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, supervisory/management, organization and communication skills a must
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel
- Must be legally able to work in Canada at time of application
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.