Job Title:Financial Analyst/Senior Financial Analyst – Financial Reporting
Location: Ottawa, Ontario (180 Kent)
Business Unit: Minto Corporate Services Inc.
Why join Minto?
We are an award-winning, fully integrated real estate company - proudly creating better places for people to live, work and play for over 60 years. With expertise in home building, construction and property and investment management, we’ve built over 85,000 new homes, manage 15,000 multi-residential units and carry 2.7 million square feet of commercial space. Our investment management portfolio spans $2.9 billion in assets.
Our business is comprised of four divisions with operations in major cities spanning across Canada and the United States. As we continue to evolve and grow, we believe in hiring the best people who are as committed to creating incredible experiences for our customers as we are. We offer incredible benefits and career growth for our employees including a competitive total rewards package, Minto Learning Centre courses, tuition reimbursement, and flexible summer hours in many locations and much more. Join us to find out how you can be a part of it all!
Reporting to a Manager in the Financial Reporting Team, the Financial Analyst is responsible for completing budgeting, financial and management reporting, and analysis activities for companies within the Minto Group.
The Financial Analyst will be expected to exhibit the highest attention to detail while working on numerous routine and ad hoc financial reporting functions. Other valued attributes that we are seeking include a strong work ethic, capacity to work independently, and consistent performance with a sense of urgency and commitment.
What you’ll be responsible for day to day:
- Working with the corporate accounting team to ensure accurate and timely completion of all monthly, quarterly, and annual close procedures. This includes:
- Reviewing financial transactions to ensure transactions are appropriately classified, presented and disclosed
- Preparing and reviewing journal entries and supporting documentation
- Preparing consolidation entries, including investigation and elimination of intercompany transactions
- Preparing and reviewing various account reconciliations, continuity schedules and other supporting schedules
- Preparing financial statements and reports and performing variance analyses
- Preparing and reviewing cash flow statements
- Assisting with the quarterly forecasting and annual budgeting processes including updating templates, compiling consolidated files, performing variance analyses and preparing Board and management reports.
- Preparing and reviewing both non-consolidated and consolidated financial statements and related disclosures using CaseWare and CaseView
- Compiling and reviewing quarterly reports and presentations for Audit Committee and Board of Director meetings
- Conduct accounting research, analysis and position papers
- Analyzing, identifying, and resolving financial reporting issues.
- Conducting research on accounting and disclosure issues and assisting in developing and communicating recommendations to business groups
- Assisting with the continuous improvement of Minto’s accounting policies, processes, and controls and ensuring compliance across all companies and groups
- Prepare technical accounting memos
- Assisting with coordination of external audit
- Developing and maintaining strong working relationships with the business units and corporate accounting staff
- Responding to ad hoc queries and performing ad hoc duties, analyses, and special projects, as necessary
Who we’re looking for:
- Strong technical accounting skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to function efficiently under pressure in order to meet various deadlines
- Ability to frequently transition between working independently and supporting team initiatives
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Strong problem solving skills
- Strong communication skills; both verbal and written
- Strong work ethic and willingness to learn
Training and required experience:
- Professional accounting designation (CPA/CA)
- Knowledge of ERP systems (SAP an asset)
- Sound knowledge of International Financial Reporting Standards (“IFRS”) and Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises (“ASPE”)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience performing account reconciliations and/or financial analysis
- Experience preparing Financial statements (CaseWare experience an asset)
- Ability to grasp new technology tools
- Experience working in a team environment
Minto is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. Should you require accommodation or support in any aspect of our recruitment and selection process, we will work with you to meet your needs.