Reporting to the Senior Finance Manager, North Shore Shipyards, the Financial Analyst is responsible for preparing management information reports in a timely and accurate manner, providing analysis and other support for Vancouver Shipyards (VSY) and Vancouver Drydock (VDC) Operational VP’s, Directors & Managers and ensuring that billed revenue is entered promptly into the accounting system.
- Monitors, reconciles and posts shipyard Accounts Receivable (A/R) invoicing and collection.
- Reviews, authorizes and posts VSY and VDC time entry batches ensuring they are processed in accordance with the collective agreements and SMC payroll policies.
- Monitors, allocates and reconciles prepaid taxes, leases and insurance accounts plus any other balance sheet accounts that arise in the conduct of our operations.
- Prepares and issues daily job costing and labour reports to VP’s, Directors, and Project Managers.
- Trouble shoots problems in the accounts payable, purchase order entry, material issues, accounts receivable, payroll, and job costing systems.
- Assists in recommending and upholding of finance policies and internal controls for VSY and VDCs in accordance with stated policies.
- Prepares year-end accounting schedules and working papers as required including providing assistance in the preparation of additional working papers requested by the Senior Finance Manager for the annual external audit.
Financial Analysis & Operational Support
- Provides financial analysis and assistance to operational divisions, including creating, modifying and maintaining various reports to meet operational needs.
- Development of new reports, ensuring quality financial information is readily available for management decision-making.
- Prepares monthly Scorecard updates based on the Consolidated, VSY and VDC financial and non-financial data.
- Assists Operational VP’s & Directors, and the Senior Finance Manager on various ad hoc projects/analyses as required.
- Creates a detailed procedure manual and keeps it up to date for the major areas of the VSY and VDC finance department, so that the duties and expectations of this position can be carried out by other Accounting Analysts in an orderly, efficient and timely manner.
Budget & Standard Rates
- Assists the Senior Finance Manager in the preparation of the annual VSY and VDC budget.
- Monitors and regularly updates the standard labour charge out rates.
- Other duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Minimum 2nd level CPA.
- 2-3 years of progressive accounting experience.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Ability to prepare a variety of financial statements, reports and analysis.
- Strong understanding of accounting concepts.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong organization and time-management skills.
- Intermediate computer skills, advanced Excel skills.
- Report writing experience with JD Edwards or proven computer aptitude.
- Strong communication skills. Ability to communicate (read and write) effectively in a business environment.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along well with diverse personalities and be a team player.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.