The Financial Controller reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer.
- In-depth GAAP & fundamental accounting knowledge
- Problem Solving
- Interpersonal skills
- Organizational skills
- Relationship building
Key Performance Indicators / Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversight and responsibility for full cycle accounting and all financial transactions of the entity. Ensuring that the books and records of the entity are kept in accordance with GAAP.
- Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions
- Design, implement and maintain client monthly / quarterly / annual reporting (financial, lease, and operations reporting), forecasting, and budgeting standards and processes to ensure compliance and effective business management
- Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met.
- Sustain and continue to grow a highly engaged team by providing effective management, communicating direction, mentoring, performance management, coaching and developing direct reports; and empowering individuals to make decisions and be accountable for their actions;
- Maintain regular contact and build solid working relationships with the Operations personnel by providing necessary financial information and support. Ensure evolving Operations requirements are anticipated and integrated into the accounting and finance processes;
- Lead internal and external audits: managing the audit workflow and deliverables and liaising with auditors as required;
- Provide information and assist the financial consolidation process as required;
- Evaluate current processes & controls, recommend process improvements and upon approval implement appropriate process improvements that demonstrate fiduciary due care.
- Complete projects for CFO as they arise within the corporate group.
- Proven track record in leading and building an effective team. Demonstrated supervisory and management skill sets. Team player capable of contributing operationally and cooperatively as a member of the accounting management team;
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) and have advanced accounting education combined with a university degree in a related discipline;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills. Proven ability to communicate in a variety of formats and demonstrated ability to communicate with confidence in internal and external meetings and group presentation settings;
- Be seen and known for professionalism, integrity and high personal standards as demonstrated by their actions, personal interactions and deliverables;
- Proven ability to plan, prioritize and assign work, motivate and coach team members, manage deliverables to budget and schedule, solve problems and make effective decisions. Capability to chart future courses within a dynamic environment based evaluation of current situations and past experience;
- Advanced competencies in accounting standards (ASPE / IFRS), finance, audit, and design, implementation, and presentation of advanced financial and business reporting;
- Highly self-motivated with outgoing personality and a desire to contribute to the strategic and financial success of the organization;
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and the ability to manage conflicting priorities within structured deadlines and deliverables;
- Preferred to have Microsoft Navision experience;
- Exceptional Excel skills is a must;
- Able to work overtime during month end and year end (especially during audit period);
- Able to travel inside and outside of Canada (occasional travel may be needed);
- Fluency in Mandarin is considered an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible accounting experience in general industry.
- Experience working in the aviation industry would be considered an asset.