Our client is a leader in financial compliance. In this role, you will be reporting to the Director, Finance Operations, the Controller has a key leadership role overseeing the operations of the accounting department to ensure reliable, accurate and timely corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budgeting, and internal controls.
- Supervise, develop and manage Finance Operations accounting team of 7 direct and indirect reports to drive a high-performance work culture.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies, procedures and internal controls to ensure compliance with GAAP and other statutory/regulatory requirements.
- Drive continuous improvement initiatives to enhance operational efficiency, effectiveness, compliance and internal controls.
- Administration and optimization of the accounting systems to drive efficiency and effectiveness of recording and reporting of financial information, including maintaining the chart of accounts and performing system access reviews.
- Oversee Invoicing/Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Pension, Cash & Treasury, Capital Asset and Restricted Fund Reporting functions.
- Manage timely month end close procedures.
- Approve the posting of all monthly journal entries.
- Ensure timely, accurate and complete reconciliations of all general ledger accounts.
- Ensure compliance with commodity taxes, payroll and corporate tax filing requirements.
- Plan and execute the annual budgeting process and forecast updates specific to compensation in partnership with Human Resources and Financial Planning, Reporting and Analysis staff.
- Ensure all budget and forecast update inputs from finance operations team members are provided on a timely basis to Financial Planning, Reporting and Analysis staff.
- Provide variance analysis on compensation related lines in partnership with Human Resources.
- Assist and contribute to the quarterly Finance, Audit and Risk Committee reporting.
- Monitor risks as it applies to the Finance department and company-wide.
- Co-ordinate the annual audit and provision of information to external auditors.
- Support Enterprise Risk Management with the coordination of internal audit and provision of information to internal auditors.
- Assist and contribute to the annual report preparation process, including Pension financial statements
- Provide assistance with Ad-hoc projects as assigned.
- Professional accounting designation (ideally CA).
- Minimum of 5 years' experience as an Accounting Manager or Controller.
- Experience working across departments and engaging with all levels of management.
- Previous experience in managing and developing staff.
- Experience with ADP payroll or similar payroll systems.
- Previous experience with Microsoft Dynamics NAV an asset.
- Experience with an automated budgeting and reporting system, Adaptive Insights an asset.
Key Skills and Competencies:
- Sound financial knowledge with an in-depth knowledge of GAAP and internal control assertions.
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills.
- Engaging and collaborative team player.
- Excellent Microsoft application skills.
- Detail oriented with superior problem solving, analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to assess and understand impacts and implications on the big picture.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to drive continuous improvement of business processes.
- Ability to lead a team of professional accountants and analysts.
- Knowledge of the securities industry would be an asset.
- Ability to speak French would be an asset.
Please Note: FULL benefits available to the right candidate including: Generous vacation allotment, Pension and Performance-based bonus.
If you are interested and qualified in this role, please send us your resume today!