First Cook (full time)
Every memorable dining experience at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts begins behind the scenes with our Culinary team’s commitment to safe, efficient operations and exceptional cuisine. As First Cook, the care you devote to all aspects of food preparation will result in the creation of truly spectacular fare.
Hotel Overview:Located in the heart of downtown Toronto, Fairmont Royal York is within walking distance to the city’s world-famous theatre district, vibrant nightlife and Toronto’s best shopping and dining. Ninety years after opening its doors in 1929, Fairmont Royal York continues to be the epicenter of the essential Toronto experience and embodies the true meaning of hospitality. With a grand-scale transformation underway to present a revitalized Fairmont Royal York, the evolution of the hotel’s storied history invites a new generation of visitors and guests to discover this next chapter. With over 1300 guest rooms, 70,000 square feet of meeting and conference space, and over 1200 colleagues, Fairmont Royal York depicts the elegance of its past while providing a promising future as Toronto’s leading luxury hotel.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Executive Chef and Sous Chefs, responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Review the daily production sheets with the Chef de Partie/Sous Chef and prepare the necessary food items in accordance with standards in a timely and efficient fashion to ensure that there is no interruption to guest service.
- Adhere to standardized recipes and specifications in order to maintain consistency and ensure all standards are met
- Keeps work station clean and organized including fridge’s/freezers, countertops and stove tops
- Ensures that station opening and closing procedures are carried out to standard
- Keeps overproduction and food waste to a minimum, ensures proper rotation, labeling, and storing of food in order to reduce food cost expense.
- Will operate all kitchen equipment and conduct themselves with safety in mind at all times
- Ensures that all food products are handled, stored, prepared and served safely in accordance with hotel and government Food Safety guidelines.
- Report any and all deficiencies in kitchen equipment functionality and quality of food products to Chef de Partie/ Sous Chef in a timely fashion
- Complete other job related duties as assigned by your supervisor
- Assumes responsibility for the basic operations of his/her station for short periods when required in the absence of the Chef de Partie
- Minimum 3 years cooking experience in at least two different kitchen sections i.e. garde manger, banquets, a la carte, breakfast etc..
- Valid City of Toronto Food Handler Certificate required
- Experience in a luxury hotel with comparable service and standards an asset
- Red Seal Certificate (Journeyman’s papers) or Recognized International Equivalent
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Aspires to become a Sous Chef with Fairmont Hotels and resorts
- Able to work shift work including weekends, evenings, and overnights on both weekends and weekdays.
Physical Aspects of Position (include but are not limited to):
- Constant standing and walking throughout shift
- Frequent lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs
- Occasional kneeling, pushing, pulling
- Occasional ascending or descending ladders, stairs and ramps
Visa Requirements: Must already be legally permitted to work in Canada.
APPLY TODAY: Whether you’re launching your career or seeking meaningful employment, we invite you to visit http://www.fairmontcareers.com/ to learn more about Fairmont Hotels & Resorts—and the extraordinary opportunities that exist!
Fairmont Hotels and Resorts believes in outstanding hospitality. We are committed to respecting the independence and dignity of all persons by providing a barrier-free environment for all guests, colleagues, and job applicants. Accommodations are available upon request for all applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. Please contact Human Resources at 416-860-4512 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you require accommodation.
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
At Fairmont Hotels & Resorts we offer our guests the finest hospitality experience in each of our destinations. And we know that, to offer our guests the best, we first need to offer our employees the best. That’s why you'll find exceptional work opportunities—throughout North America and the Caribbean, Europe and Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific—as well as industry-leading training, career development, recognition and rewards. Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a celebrated collection of hotels that includes landmark locations like London’s The Savoy, New York’s The Plaza, and Shanghai’s Fairmont Peace Hotel. Our teams are guided by values of Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Empowerment; we employ the highest ethical and quality standards, treating all colleagues with fairness and dignity. A community and environmental leader, Fairmont is also regarded for its responsible tourism practices and award-winning Green Partnership program. An exciting future awaits!