GHD is one of the world’s leading professional services companies operating in the global markets of water, energy and resources, environment, property and buildings, and transportation.
Privately owned by our people, GHD provides engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services to private and public sector clients across five continents. Focused on creating lasting community benefit, our connected global network of 10,000 people delivers projects with high standards of safety, quality and ethics.
Committed to sustainable development, GHD improves the physical, natural and social environments of the many communities in which we operate.
We are currently looking for a First Nation Intern to work with our Design and Project Management groups on First Nation Solid Waste Management, Environmental Remediation, Water Management, Renewable Energy, and Emergency Response Planning projects. This position is a paid internship position. We are currently providing technical assistance to First Nations across BC to develop recycling systems, improve waste collection, and reduce diesel combustion in off-grid communities.
The objective of GHD’s First Nation Internship Program is to be able to give students enrolled (or recently graduated) in a post-secondary program the opportunity to work in a consulting environmental on First Nation projects located in BC. It is GHD’s hope that after the program, successful interns will be able to give back to their communities directly or return to GHD and continue to work with other First Nations communities.
- Assist with First Nation client and contractor communications including preparation and delivery of presentations and meeting records
- Meet First Nation community representatives and assist in determining local needs and objectives, possibly including preliminary site visits
- Conduct research for projects
- Prepare documents including Indigenous Services Canada (ISC, formerly INAC) funding applications, project progress and completion reports, and project memorandums
- Provide support for project administration tasks
- Participate in design meetings and project team meetings
- Preference will be given to Aboriginal candidates (First Nations status or non-status, Metis, and Inuit)
- Grade 12 education (possess Dogwood or GED at the time of application)
- Post-secondary education (currently enrolled or recent graduation) is an asset, or an equivalent combination of education and work/life experience
- Demonstrate an interest in science, engineering, and/or the environment through work, education, and/or volunteer experience
- Have experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and Powerpoint
- Time management and organizational skills
- Written and verbal communication abilities
- Positive attitude
- Valid driver's license
We offer a professional working environment and culture and believe that work / life balance is essential to the success and happiness of our people. We also offer competitive salary packages based on qualifications, skills and experience.
As a multicultural organization, we encourage individual achievement and recognize the strength of a diverse workforce. GHD is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, GHD will provide reasonable accommodation for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.