Dentons Canada LLP (“Dentons Canada”) has an immediate opening for a Foreign Legal Consultant (Foreign-Licensed Lawyer). The candidate will be responsible for advising Canadian, Chinese and International clients on all legal matters involving Chinese corporate/securities law and acting for clients in securities offerings/listings and M&A transactions involving Chinese law. The candidate will also support Dentons Canada’s business development initiatives in Dentons’ China Region. The candidate will be based in Dentons Canada’s Toronto office (77 King Street West, Suite 400; Toronto, Ontario; M5K 0A1).
The candidate’s duties will include the following:
- Advising and representing Canadian corporate clients in legal matters relating to Chinese corporate/securities law;
- Researching and analyzing legal issues involving Chinese law, and interpreting laws, rulings, and regulations for Dentons’ clients that are expanding or operating in China;
- Advising Dentons’ clients of their legal rights and obligation under Chinese law;
- Drawing up Chinese legal documents to be used in Chinese securities offerings/listings and M&A transactions;
- Negotiating settlements of legal disputes involving Chinese law;
- Performing management functions related to the practice of Chinese law;
- Acting as a liaison between Chinese corporate clients and Dentons, in connection with Canadian law;
- Supporting Dentons’ business development initiatives through promotion of engagement and cooperation between the China Region’s partners and the Canada Region; and
- Supporting various aspects of China-related business within Canada Region and with other Regions.
The candidate must:
- Possess a first professional degree (JD or foreign equivalent) or master’s degree in the field of law;
- Be a licensed lawyer in good standing with the regulatory body that regulates lawyers in China;
- Possess a Foreign Legal Consultant Permit issued by the Law Society of Ontario, or be eligible to obtain one;
- Possess at least 14 years of full-time work experience as a corporate/securities lawyer in China; and
- Be competent in the English language [CLB 6 or higher in all four language abilities (writing, reading, listening, speaking)].
Fluency in Mandarin is also preferred but not mandatory.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), permanent position. The Foreign Legal Consultant will receive an annual base salary of $240,000.00 CAD per year. The candidate will also be eligible for discretionary bonuses based on performance.
Employee benefits will include: (1) extended medical; (2) drug plan, (3) vision care, (4) life insurance, (5) dental benefits, (6) short-term disability insurance, (7) long-term disability insurance, and (8) four weeks of vacation per year.
Applications should be sent to Dentons Canada c/o Catherine McGregor, Director of Talent, Toronto and Business Services (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Telephone: 416 367 6821; Facsimile: 416 863 4592.)