POSITION: Full Time Medical Laboratory Assistant
HOURS OF WORK: 7.5 hour shifts Days, Evenings, Nights
- Prepare a variety of microbiological culture media, reagents and stains. Disinfect, sterilize and prepare lab equipment/containers/supplies for use.
- Accession and process laboratory specimens.
- Use hospital computer systems for documentation and record keeping activities.
- Assist with the preventative maintenance and cleaning schedule of certain laboratory equipment.
- Assist with inventory control and restocking of supplies.
- Handle hazardous materials.
- Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
- Additional duties will include assisting with other Medical Laboratory Assistant duties in the Laboratory as required.
- Certification from a CSMLS and /or MLPAO is preferred
- Graduate of a Medical Laboratory Assistant Program
- Post certification experience preferred
- Recent experience in Microbiology specimen processing, and media preparation is essential;
- Medical terminology required
- Keyboarding experience essential;
- Good organizational, problem solving and planning skills with a proven ability to work independently and accurately under minimum supervision;
- Lifting ability is required for the receipt and dispatch of supplies;
- Ability to work in static and sustained positions;
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Good attendance record.
- Demonstrated commitment to learning and continuing education
- Good performance track record