We have an excellent opportunity in our Home Warranty Insurance Claims department. The position is based in Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton. The Senior Claims Specialist is responsible for making coverage decisions based on the policy issued, the builder agreements and indemnities, and the applicable provincial laws and regulations.
The role manages construction defect claims submitted by homeowners and stratas under policies of home warranty insurance and ensures that any qualified construction defects are repaired by either the Developer/Builder or through the engagement of a third-party contractor.
The files of the Senior Claims Specialist typically include those of a complex and high-risk nature. In addition, some files are the subject of both plaintiff and/or defense litigation. Home Warranty Insurance serves the purpose of protecting consumers of new homes from construction defects in addition to contributing to improving the quality of construction of residential buildings.
- Adjustment of complex Home Warranty Insurance claims through the verification of policy coverage by assessing the presence of construction defects and liability for the same. Work with Developer/Builder and Homeowners to ensure appropriate resolution of a claim within the terms of the policy while satisfying all other stakeholders, including provincial regulators.
- Maintenance of claim records, including observations, documentation, communications, decisions made, financial expenditures, setting and maintaining adequate reserves, prompt payments to professionals and third party contractors, ensuring identification of possible recovery/subrogation opportunities and timely and accurate closing of claim files.
- Engagement of professionals (i.e. engineers, consultants, industry experts, external legal counsel) and third-party contractors for the purposes of making coverage decisions and, in the event that a builder/developer defaults on their obligations under the Builder Agreement and Indemnities, for ensuring repairs are completed pursuant to the policy of home warranty insurance.
- Enlist external contractors to scope, estimate and facilitate repairs on qualified construction defects by assessing and authorizing repair bids while ensuring the most equitable and economical method of repairs.
- Foster and maintain open communication with Underwriting and Technical Services to ensure proper risk management during the handling of claims and for the purpose of improving future service to our clients which include both Homeowners and Builder/Developers.
- Liaise with Underwriting on claims issues, topics, and trends that to may impact overall business relationships and future enrolments with Builder/Developer clients.
- Utilize the Technical Services team to perform site reviews and assessments, as a resource to assist in making coverage decisions under policies of home warranty insurance
- Consider multiple sources of information in making coverage decisions including the following: the policy of home warranty insurance, builder agreement and indemnities, provincial act and regulations, regulatory requirements, building codes, provincial performance guides, industry standards, manufacturer’s warranty, and other.
- Provide support and assistance to Builders/Developers by ensuring they understand their obligations under the Builders Agreement and Indemnities to resolve issues related to coverage under the policy of home warranty insurance.
- Support and provide assistance to Property Owners and Strata Corporations to ensure understanding and awareness of the obligations and coverages contained in the policy of home warranty insurance
- Contribute to the ongoing positive, professional and progressive Home Warranty Insurance Team environment by collaborating and sharing ideas.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
- 5 plus years of experience in the general insurance industry, preferably in the surety and/or warranty claims fields.
- Practical experience within the development and/or residential construction industries is considered an asset
- Experience with engaging professionals and third party trades, including the critical review and analysis of scopes of work, estimates, bids, supplemental invoices, reports, memos and professional opinions
- Experience managing repair projects
- Experience working with legal counsel for purposes of defending coverage decisions and pursuing recovery against liable parties.
- Working knowledge of computer applications, including MS Word and Excel is required. Knowledge of XactAnalysis and other web-based databases would be beneficial.
- Excellent customer service skills and experience
- Superior interpersonal skills.
- Strong investigation and negotiations skills.
- Excellent command of the English language, including oral and written communication.
Additional Information: Aviva Canada is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities during all phases of the hiring process including the application process. If you require an accommodation because of a disability, we will work with you to meet your needs. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. If you are selected for an interview and require an accommodation, you are encouraged to advise the Talent Acquisition Partner who will consult with you to determine an appropriate accommodation.