The Afternoon Shift General Supervisor (SOC 70/80) is responsible for managing teams of multi-discipline trades workers. The General Supervisor determines staffing requirements and oversees work assignments within an assigned Area. The General Supervisor is responsible for ensuring all work is carried out in accordance shipyard safety, quality, and environment standards, policies and procedures. To ensure standards are met the General Supervisor will regularly check on performance, conduct performance management tasks, including but not limited to: disciplining trades employees, approving trade employee time cards, trade employee leave requests and ensuring the collective agreement is applied appropriately. The position reports directly to an Area Manager or SOC Manager and requires significant interaction with Trade Managers.
- Assumes accountability for safety, cost, schedule and quality performance in area of responsibility.
- Implements and enforces Seaspan's health, safety, environmental and quality processes on the shop floor and strives to eliminate safety hazards at every opportunity.
- Responsible for delivering product in accordance with Company and customer quality standards.
- Allocates manpower in accordance with schedule and priorities, assigning work to trade employees with the skill and ability to efficiently complete scheduled work.
- Follows and enforces the collective agreement and best practices to manage trades employees effectively.
- Responsible for discipline, including performance and attendance management, termination of employment and assigning or removing chargehand responsibilities of trades employees.
- Partners with Trade Development Managers to ensure trade employees have the skills, equipment, training and certifications required to perform planned work activities.
- Responsible for interpreting work order specifications and manufacturing information by ensuring work orders are completed, keeping updated on standards, changes in plans and provision of materials.
- Assists in the determining work plans, sequences and schedules and may be required to assist in preparing estimates.
- Investigates workplace incidents and completes Drug & Alcohol checklists and testing as required.
- Responsible for timekeeping administration and approval for direct reports and indirect reports.
- Ensures work crews minimize waste expense and unnecessary delays in construction or repair work.
- Works with Management to eliminate inefficient work practices and promotes continuous process improvement ("CPI") daily.
- Collaborates with front line supervision to establish daily and weekly goals and holds employees accountable for performance.
- Reports internally on work process and status to Area Managers and/or SOC Managers.
- Escalates technical trade issues with Trade Managers and implements solutions as identified.
- Promotes a work environment that is respectful and harassment-free.
- Works collaboratively with Trade Development Managers, HSE, Quality, Human Resources and the Employee Relations teams as required.
- Leads by example and demonstrates Seaspan's core values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- College degree or trades certification is preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of related trades work experience outside of any trades apprenticeship or educational program.
- A minimum of an additional 2 years of previous supervisory experience in a heavy industrial environment. Experience in a unionized environment preferred.
- Proficient knowledge of trade responsibilities specific to heavy manufacturing (welding, metal fabrication, electrical, pipefitting, paint/sandblasting, mechanical, rigging, etc.).
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Strong written, verbal and electronic communication skills.
- Time management and organization skills with a demonstrated commitment to follow-up and follow-through.
- Ability to motivate others, lead change, have difficult conversations and administer discipline when necessary.
- Conflict resolution and negotiation skills to resolve disagreements quickly and effectively, bringing a problem-solving attitude to conflicting approaches and priorities.
- Ability to build effective working relationships and collaborate with others towards a shared goal.
- Commitment to safety and quality, with experience in the application of behavioural based safety.
- Appreciation and understanding of the value of diversity within a team.
- Proficiency with MS Office products and web-based applications.