Registered Nurse, Bariatric Centre of Excellence
Hours of Work: Part-time Position; Days
Location: Hotel Dieu Hospital Site
The Registered Nurse (RN) in the Bariatric Clinic functions within the bariatric interdisciplinary team at KHSC, HDH site. The RN will prepare patients for bariatric surgery, follow patients in the post-operative ambulatory setting, and assess and monitor patients in the medical behavioural weight loss program. The RN role will be primarily clinical but he/she will also have a research/evaluation, Psychosocial Counseling, and teaching in the a variety of group settings including the medical weight management program. The RN keeps stats on the medical program targets. The RN: promotes and fosters a culture of understanding and compassion in the management of morbidly obese patients; is responsible for participation in departmental, hospital and educational activities, which are supportive of professional and corporate objectives; adheres to professional obligations as required by the College of Nurses of Ontario; is responsible for delivery of care consistent with the vision and values of the hospital and the standards of relevant professional organizations.
- Current certificate of competence as a Registered Nurse in the Province of Ontario
- Experience with pre-operative bariatric surgical preparation
- Experience with post- operative surgical patient
- Experience with medical weight loss program
- Medical management of patients including diabetes management and insulin dose adjustment, OSA protocols etc.
- Commitment to provide a positive patient experience with adequate support and positive patient outcomes
- Demonstrated good interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively as a team member
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated good organization skills
- Commitment to standards of excellence and accountability
- Good working knowledge of relevant legislation including: Personal Health Information Protection Act, Regulated Health Professionals Act (RHPA), Public Hospitals Act, Copyright legislation, Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Capability of coping in a physically and mentally demanding work environment
- Proven good attendance record
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing from an Ontario University or equivalent preferred
- CNA Certification or equivalent where appropriate for clinical area preferred
- Experience in an ambulatory care environment preferred
The applicant must meet the physical demands of this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices. If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Department.