Position Status: Up to 14 Month Term
In your role as the Health and Safety Administrator at The North West Company (NWC), you coordinate and ensure timely reporting of occupational and non-occupational injuries and illnesses. Serve as the primary point of contact between the case managers and NWC as well as coordinate the Return to Work process. Manage the day to day relationship with 3rd party vendor for health and wellness activities to provide quality programs for NWC staff. Support Health & Safety by monitoring and recording JHSC activities and coordinating the 1st aid ordering process. Your ability to prioritize and work on deadlines and your strong communication skills will make you a fantastic candidate for this role.
Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighborhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
- Manage workers’ compensation (WCB) claims, report as well as coordinate the short term disability (STD) processes for the Canadian Operations;
- Ensure managers complete all Workers Compensation forms on a timely basis;
- Serve as the first point of contact for all Canadian operations; be the liaison between the NWC, WCB, or STD case manager(s) across Canada;
- Provide regular updates regarding status of claims;
- Facilitate the return to work process with stakeholders, ensuring timely return to work;
- Maintain the return to work program including coordinating and preparing return to work plans with all stakeholders, and facilitating return to work meetings;
- Monitor and create a centralized database of information to provide visibility of program performance and effectiveness;
- Facilitate the First Aid supply procurement process across Canada;
- Assist with the administration, monitoring, and updating of the Health and Safety program, safety materials, bulletins, and alerts;
- Assist in coordinating and communicating various Wellness Centre activities to Gibraltar House employees such as fitness classes, lunch & learns, fitness contests, and updating the fitness calendar;
- Work with Wellness Centre Management Company to determine programs and classes to offer and new equipment required;
- Seek quotes on necessary equipment and coordinate ordering; and
- Coordinate communications of EFAP program information and related topics.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Certificate or diploma in Human Resources, Health & Safety or another relevant field;
- Minimum 2 years in Human Resource or Similar Role; combination of education and experience in related field;
- Experience with handling disability claims is desirable;
- Working knowledge of workers’ compensation programs and practices;
- Experience with benefits administration is desirable;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Proficient in MS Office applications (Excel, Word, and Outlook);
- Knowledge of provincial/territorial Occupational Health and Safety regulations is an asset;
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality when dealing with claims management and employee issues;
- Professional and sensitive when dealing with confidential employee issues;
- Analytical and process driven;
- Strong customer service skills; and
- Detail conscious.
Location: Gibraltar House, 77 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB
Reports to: Manager, Health & Safety
You may include your resume and cover letter together as a single document. A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.