The Site HSE Manager reports to Plant Manager, is a member of the plant Senior Management Staff and is responsible for the overall management and direction of Health, Safety, & Environment within the confines of the site. This critical role understands the interworking relationship between safety and productivity, profits, associate engagement and retention. As a site leader the HSE Manager sets the overall site HSE vision of excellence and ensures overall Mars HSE programs are vital and relevant.
Incumbent is the site leader of HSE activities within their operating site. The site HSE Manager works with and is a part of the site senior management team and collaborates with other site representatives to ensure the overall corporate HSE strategy is refined for the site and executed minimizing the Company's general liability and exposure to safety, environmental compliance and security risks.
This position is not only accountable for ensuring compliance with national and local HSE laws, regulations and Corporate HSE Standards but for driving the overall Mars HSE Culture and Vision at the site. This position is responsible for translating and executing the site's overall SES strategy (as set by the Corporate HSE Team), executing and improving on site policies and procedures which are consistent with the Company's vision, mission and values, driving the HSE Culture of the site, collaborating and supporting on non-HSE site critical issues, and championing external efforts to ensure safety and environmental stewardship in the communities in which Mars operates.
• Ensure Site maintains continuous "audit ready" state of compliance with company and governmental HSE Standards.
• Responsible for the development, deployment of all Company HSE Standards as they specifically apply to the site.
• Accountable for the execution of all site Environmental Permit Compliance, including Air, Stormwater, Water, Spill Control, and Wastewater. Ensures all testing required through permits and company standards are met on time.
• Executes proper management of the sites hazardous waste management activities to ensure 100% compliance with federal, state, local and company regulations and standards.
• Maintains the onsite environmental manuals and updates according to Mars standard and schedule
• Ensures all shipments of hazardous materials and wastes are in done in compliance with DOT regulations.
• Develop and Deploy the site specific HSE Strategies, Programs and Plans to position the site as a best in class organization
• Delivers training and coaching to establish clear understanding by all site associates on HSE expectations.
• Sets the overall HSE vision of the site; executes the proper motivational techniques required to enliven this vision.
• Leads the effective implementation and utilization of risk assessment and risk prediction processes at the site and drives for appropriate mitigation measures to lower associate risk. Ensures effective communication and understanding by all affected associates.
• Develops a prioritized, multi-tiered risk based prioritization plan. Works with site and central resources to execute on plan.
• Ensures investigation of all HSE related incidents utilizing specific tools to drive to root cause and identify actions to prevent recurrence. Drives completion of recognized corrective actions to prevent incident recurrence are effectively implemented, this includes execution of corrective actions developed from other site incidents.
• Collaborates with Occupation Health and Wellness Management team to ensure effective injury case management process is fully implemented, well understood and functioning as desired.
• Serves as the site level HSE technical expert, providing technical expertise/coaching as needed in all areas and initiatives of the function including capital project review and risks management associated with non-capital modifications.
• Must have the tact, motivational managerial skills to achieve desired results through a manage by influence model where direct lines of authority do not exist.
• Manages and uses a data driven approach to manage, modify and prioritize site HSE direction. Shares and uses data to influence, motivate, measure and drive continuous improvement. Upwardly communicate performance toward company goals for safety and the environment.
• Maintain data of all safety key performance indicators (KPIs). Keep these KPIs visible in the site and lead key initiatives that continuously improve these metrics.
• Provides and collaborates with onsite temporary labor management to ensure HSE goals are mutually met
• Develops, delivers and participates in risk reduction reviews of process hazards and combustible dusts. Drives and participates in projects aimed at lowering risks associated with these activities.
• Leads and ensures the site Plant Emergency Organization has the tools, skills and knowledge to effectively respond to plant HSE emergencies.
• Leads site efforts to measure and improve Industrial Hygiene Risk. This includes but is not limited to ergonomics, respirable dust, noise and chemical exposure. Coordinates all necessary IH and audiometric monitoring.
• Coordinate 100% Employee Engagement Committees for improving safety and environmental performance. Ensure HSE systems are implemented and maintained effectively. Champions the site Behavior Based Safety effort. Although this program is associate lead, the site HSE manager will provide the team with the needed influence and guidance to be successful. Also uses BBS data to shape the overall site HSE strategy
• Owns the overall site Contractor Safety program to reduce risk associate with construction and trade contactor activity. Ensures project managers are accountable for proper management of contactors.
• Manage the overall site HSE Budget to ensure proper fiscal stewardship of department funds. Understands budgetary processes and pressure, but also can articulate and justify HSE spending.
• Manage and document the required equipment and permit checklists associated with site environmental permits (baghouse, scrubber, containment area logs, etc.)
• Manage environmental sample collection and sampling equipment (storm water or
wastewater as applicable)
• Manage and maintain the on-site global and local regulatory environmental standards for their locations, conduct annual review of these documents as directed by corporate personnel
• Owns and executes site security requirements in order to meet corporate standards
• Execute training on site security for all associates and manage overall system to insure proper operation
• Maintains all aspects of site security system - generates badges, oversees general access rights, access point drawings, etc.
• Supports the Mars Global Security Program by implementing standards and best practices.
• Manages overall activities of site security staff.
• Manage Risk Management activities associated with asset conservation and property loss control. Drives timely corrective actions to third party loss risk assessments and audits.
• Works with third party risk control experts to ensure compliance with company standards on new projects. Supports audit efforts to maintain and improve favorable insurance ratings.
Principal Accountabilities - Support
• Supports the site management team to foster a caring culture where health, safety, and environment are ingrained as a core value equal to other business functions within the site.
• Leads development of HSE capabilities the site management team.
• Partners with other key functions on initiatives including Engineering, Operations, P&O, Quality, S&F to develop and deliver site based goals and plans.
• The Site HSE Manager is member of the site Senior Management Staff, therefore collaborates with other function leaders to drive overall business objectives of the site.
• Actively participates on Site Leadership Team and effectively leads, coaches and develops operations line supervision to be effective HSE leaders/coaches in their respective positions
• Actively is engaged as part of the site senior staff, therefore will participated and lead non-HSE activities aimed at improving overall site performance, HPC and ways of working.
• Supports the Mars Sustainable in a Generation (SiG) initiative through various means.
• Supports the site management team in project management of applicable HSE capital projects
Key Functional Skills/Knowledge
The site HSE Manager is expected to solve on a range of defined and/or complex problems and analyzes solutions using defined and standard procedures. It is expected that this role can self-manage with a moderate level of guidance and direction.
The discipline of HSE management is governed by a diverse set of standards and requirements (this includes corporate, industry/consensus and legislative).
This position requires the incumbent to effectively prioritize and communicate these matters to all levels of the organization, across a diverse set of site based teams. Requires knowledge of other job families and how these relate to current role. Further, understanding of key business drivers and its relation to the role is equally important.
The position requires that the incumbent fully understand and participate in the execution of:
• The Global HSE Management System
• MARS Asset Conservation Manual
• MARS, Incorporated Facilities Manual
• The application of the Five Principles of MARS as relates to HSE
• Legislation (Occupational Health and Safety Act, MOE, MOL, ESA, WSIB, CSA, etc.)
• Training and Development
• Project Management
• Legal requirements
• Site/business specific procedures
• This position requires the incumbent to set the framework for the analysis and effective communication of solutions of problems from both a quantitative and qualitative standpoint. This includes the use of a personal computer.
• B.S. Safety Management, Industrial Safety, Sciences, Engineering, or Industrial Hygiene
• 5+ years of progressive experience in implementing and managing health, safety, environmental and/or industrial hygiene programs
• Previous experience in a manufacturing facility
• Strong technical and regulatory knowledge and expertise, required including Occupational Health and Safety Act, MOE, MOL, ESA, WSIB, CSA, etc
• Must have the ability to positively influence safe behaviors and present technical material to large groups
• Effective leadership and personnel management skills
• Ability to interact with site level manufacturing/business management, community, elected officials and non-government organizations as well as, state and federal regulatory agencies
• Strong written and verbal communication skills including a high level of comfort developing and delivering training and motivational presentations to all levels of associates
• Travel up to 25% including international
• Experience in management of Security function
• Recognized third party certification (CSP and/or CIH)
• Basic knowledge and experience in food manufacturing and GMP
• Experience in deploying behavior based safety systems
• Experience with hazard recognition, behavioral-based safety, job hazard analysis and Process Hazards Analysis