REAL ALLOY is the global market leader in third-party aluminum recycling and specification alloy production. We operate in 23 facilities strategically located in 6 countries across North America and Europe. We convert aluminum scrap and by-products into reusable aluminum metal for a growing number of applications across various industries. Our headquarters is located in Cleveland, Ohio.
This temporary opportunity is for an experienced HSE Manager to come in and manage all aspects of employee health and safety and site environmental compliance and continuous improvement to advance Real Alloy HSE programs, processes and systems. The position is part of the site leadership team and is responsible for activities and actions that maximize the safety of all employees, contractors and visitors and adherence to environmental performance standards.
- Lead site HSE improvement plan development and execution.
- Co-Chair the facility Safety Committee. Lead monthly plant safety meetings and safety walk-arounds. Develop and assist supervisors with content and implementation of monthly department safety meetings.
- Development and delivery of training programs to ensure compliance with Company HSE requirements and Local, State and Provincial regulations.
- Work with the Plant Manager, Regional HSE Manager and facility personnel in identifying HSE opportunities for improvement and developing and implementing corrective/preventive action plans.
- Communicate with and maintain professional relationships with Local, State and Federal regulatory agency personnel.
- Review, maintain and comply with all environmental permits.
- Provide technical oversight, guidance and communication on issues involving and impacting compliance with and interpretation of local, state, and federal HSE regulations to site. Maintain up-to-date knowledge in all aspects of Health, Safety and Environmental regulations and compliance reporting.
- Prepare and submit all required reports and permit applications including but not limited to air, water, waste and other applicable environmental requirements.
- Manage all retained HSE consultants/vendors.
- Lead any required emergency response efforts for the facility.
- Conduct and document HSE incident investigations and cause analysis events. Develop and implement required corrective/preventive action plans.
- Lead the preparation of Facility HSE risk assessments, PPE assessments and the development of action plans to reduce Facility HSE risks.
- Participate with Corporate HSE on special projects such as audits of other Real Alloy facilities.
- Identify and manage the facility Industrial Health & Hygiene (IH) program.
- Provide HSE change management review of all projects, and assistance for capital requests. Identify, evaluate and control proposed changes to the facility that may impact the safety of the process, the safety or health of the employees and the environmental compliance and controls at the facility.
- This position has no immediate supervisory responsibilities but requires collaboration with the Regional HSE Manager, Plant Manager, other site leaders and plant personnel to make decisions which will positively impact regulatory compliance and employee safety and well-being.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university (preferably science, engineering or HSE) and three (3) plus years of related experience.
- Experience with HSE Management Systems and performance of risk assessments.
- Background in continuous improvement tools and techniques such as six sigma / lean sigma.
- Experience with computer applications, such as spreadsheets, word processing documents, databases, email programs and electronic data reporting systems, e.g., Microsoft applications and SharePoint.
- Possess excellent interpersonal, organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Possess the ability to read, analyze, and interpret governmental regulations.
- Creativity and innovation for implementation of new HSE programs and for creating employee engagement.
- Capability of managing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to work variable hours, be on call and travel occasionally (<15%).
- Ability to wear various types of PPE in hot/humid conditions such as metatarsal safety shoes, safety hardhat, safety glasses, gloves, hearing protection and heat resistant garments as needed.
- Must have and retain a valid driver’s license.
REAL ALLOY is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Our HR teams will reach out to the applicants who met the qualifications and most closely aligned with requirements of the positions.