Let’s impact lives for the better!
Alberta Blue Cross is Alberta based, not-for-profit and dedicated to delivering exceptional customer experience and community leadership. We’re committed to providing the best health coverage to over 1.8 million members and take an active role in promoting the wellness of all Albertans. We believe in what we do—and place trust in our employees to deliver our vision.
Working at Alberta Blue Cross means having a career where you’ll be recognized for your contributions. We value diversity, encourage our employees to maintain a healthy work-life balance and provide opportunities for training and career growth.
Medical underwriting is the practice of assessing an individual’s medical and health information to measure their risk for an insurance application. This position is suitable for individuals with practical medical knowledge or experience in healthcare and are looking to apply their skills to a career in the insurance industry. Candidates report directly to the manager of Medical Underwriting as part of a cohesive team of health insurance risk selectors.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Review applications for medically underwritten benefits to assess pre-existing medical history and evaluate morbidity and mortality risk.
- Communicate with applicants, health professionals, and businesses to gather information and explain decisions and policies.
- Interpret, summarize, and record relevant medical information.
- Make appropriate and justified decisions in line with corporate underwriting standards.
- Collaborate with team members and other company departments to achieve strategic and operational goals of the corporation.
- Contribute to administrative and other supportive activities related to medical underwriting and daily business operations.
- Maintain and develop knowledge and skills through training, courses, and seminars.
WHAT YOU WILL HAVE:
- Must have working knowledge of anatomy, pathology, and pharmacology. Ideal candidates will have previous medical underwriting experience or a background in the medical field.
- Education or work in nursing, pharmacy, lab/radiology technician, etc. are preferred.
- Must be able to synthesize subjective and objective information from multiple sources to make well-informed decisions.
- Must exhibit good judgement by balancing underwriting standards and guidelines with good business decisions.
- Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to provide excellent customer service to internal and external clients.
- Must be able to work autonomously and as part of a team to fulfill prescribed deadlines.
- Must be dependable, accountable, courteous, and a good collaborator.
- Must have strong computer literacy, experience with Microsoft Office applications, and willingness to learn proprietary company software.
- FALU/FLMI certifications are an asset but not required at time of hire. Candidate will be expected to obtain these designations as part of their professional development.
Alberta Blue Cross is an inclusive employer committed to a workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We empower and are advocates for our employees by welcoming, respecting and valuing their unique perspectives, backgrounds and experiences.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and the opportunity to work in an innovative, high-energy team-focused environment. This position will remain open until September 18, 2020. If you have the qualifications we are looking for, apply online at careers.ab.bluecross.ca