Flatiron is seeking highly motivated individuals who have the drive and desire to work in a fast-paced, heavy civil construction environment. Flatiron's Intern Program provides challenging and rewarding work opportunities for college students majoring in Civil Engineering and Construction Management. As an Intern with Flatiron Canada, you will be given the opportunity to apply your academic training and skills, in a real-world setting on some of the most exciting and technically challenging construction projects in North America.
Flatiron is currently hiring a number of Interns to support our Site C project in Fort St. John, BC. Join our team for a period of 4, 8, or 12 months, starting in May 2019.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Assist the project manager, project engineer and the site construction staff in the application of principles, methods and techniques of construction and engineering technology.
- Assist with evaluation of field conditions and acceptance testing.
- Support quality assurance and quality control materials testing (concrete testing, soil testing etc).
- Apply survey knowledge to assist with project layout and checking of work to confirm work is in conformance with plans and specifications.
- Review project drawings.
- Perform quantity tracking and productivity analysis for maximization of operation efficiency.
- Assist with preparing and updating project schedule.
- Assist Field Engineers and Superintendents with day-to-day tasks.
- Participate in daily safety tool-box-talks and abide by and champion Flatiron’s company’s safety policy across the project.
You will be required to quickly learn the workings of the entire project, including plan interpretation, project specifications, project cost control knowledge and the overall construction schedule. In performing any number of these tasks, you will actively support published corporate policies and set a productive and consistent work example.
- Must be flexible in assignment location and able to accept work on temporary assignment in various locations.
- Currently enrolled in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or a similar program at an accredited technical college or university.
- Experience in a construction and/or engineering environment is an asset;
- Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environments;
- Beginner knowledge of construction equipment and techniques, drawing and specifications, building materials and required standards applicable to the project;
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel and Word);
- Beginner knowledge of AutoCAD and/or HCSS Heavy Bid Estimating Software is an asset;
- Strong work ethic – highly motivated and willing to do what it takes to get the job done right;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Please note for field assignments, pre-access drug and alcohol test may be required.