Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
Effective Program capability takes skill, talent, resolve, and the ability to think on your feet and develop solutions to unexpected challenges. When you’re a company as vast and differentiated as Irving Shipbuilding, solving fresh challenges becomes the name of the game—and we’re seeking an HR Associate to be part of our HR Advisory group.
Reporting to the Human Resources Manager and working collaboratively with a team of HR Business Partners, the HR Associate will help to enable the organization to be a world class developer of people through the effective implementation of HR policies, procedures and programs. They will positively impact the organization by working with colleagues to inform and develop HR strategies designed to standardize, optimize and improve the employee experience.
- Provides information to employees and managers on HR policies, programs, and procedures. Resolves HR inquiries or escalates to the appropriate individual for further advice depending on severity;
- Facilitates proper employee documentation and records, including writing employment documents, maintaining and compiling reports and data sources, and researching information;
- Assists colleagues in the preparation and delivery of HR and HR technology related training material, leadership development programs, and other talent management strategic initiatives in partnership with centres of excellence;
- Assists in the delivery of the Employee Engagement program, including promoting the survey to achieve maximum participation, preparing and analyzing data, creating presentations and assisting in scheduling and facilitating Employee Experience/Action Planning teams;
- Supports the HR and Management team in ensuring alignment of organizational structure;
- Assists leaders with developing consistent & accurate job descriptions. Works with HRBP to ensure job is evaluated fairly and according to process, gathers data for cross organizational alignment reviews, and works with business to ensure organizational charts are updated and accurate;
- Facilitates the selection process for new employees including preparing accurate requisitions, responding to escalated candidate inquiries, participating in individual contributor interviews, preparing salary recommendations for review by HRBP, communicating hiring decisions to unsuccessful applicants, and drafting organizational announcements;
- Facilitates onboarding and offboarding of employees
- Completion of Post-secondary education in a related field such as HR, Business, Organizational Development.
- 2-4 years’ experience in Human Resources in a large, complex organization
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and achieve results on a high volume of variable assignments
- Strong team player who is able to work effectively with diverse customer groups
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship building, and communication skills
- Proficient computer skills including aptitude with MS Office and HRIS
- CPHR would be considered an asset
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary commensurate with the experience of the Candidate and benefits package including but not limited to medical, dental and vision.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.