Lafarge in Canada is proud to provide construction solutions in the buildings, infrastructure and industrial segments. These solutions are built with high performance products from our cement, aggregates, ready-mix concrete, asphalt and road construction, and concrete products divisions. From the use of alternative materials and recycling to renewable energy, Lafarge's focus is to develop innovative products that can contribute toward sustainably constructed building solutions. Lafarge takes personal growth and development to heart, and provides resources for our employees to take control of their own careers. Through our commitment to communities, to the health and safety of our employees and their families, or through the many volunteer hours of our employees, Lafarge demonstrates our care for people. If you want to work in an environment that values hard work, entrepreneurship, and collaborative teamwork, Lafarge is for you. Building Better Cities is what we do. Come Build a Better Career with us! More information can be found at www.lafarge.ca/en/careers .
Based in Edmonton, the Human Resources Manager is a strategic business partner, providing Human Resources (HR) support to all product lines within the Northern Alberta region. The Human Resources Manager is responsible for talent management activities and initiatives within the business and is accountable for providing timely, concise information, guidance and coaching to our managers, aligned with HR policies, procedures and processes. This includes providing day-to-day support of the HR activities and initiatives in the following areas: employee/labour relations, performance management, retention, recruitment and staffing, compensation and benefits, training and development, project management, analytics and process improvement. The incumbent will identify key HR issues and play an important role in supporting key business objectives.
Health, Safety & Environment
- Demonstrates a commitment to a safe work environment. Understands the safety objectives of the organization and supports these efforts in a visible manner.
- Maintains a working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure duties of self and others are performed in a safe manner.
- Participates in and supports the business Environmental, Health & Safety committees or improvement teams.
- Collaborates with the safety organization on safety training initiatives.
- Supports the implementation of HR strategy to assure appropriate employee resources are available to achieve planned results. Works with line managers to identify organizational issues that impact the attainment of business objectives.
- Works with management teams to effectively manage talent and create robust succession pools at all levels of the organization.
- Identifies key talent and ensures strong development and career planning in place and ensures implementation.
- Supports talent development activities.
- Engages line managers in actively managing and developing future talent.
- Manages the Organization & Human Resources review process for the area.
Recruitment & Staffing
- Collaborates with the Recruitment team to lead recruiting and staffing activities for the area of responsibility including screening, interviewing and selection.
- Participates in campus recruiting activities to support business.
- Oversees new hire administrative processes, employee onboarding and training.
- Coordinates the performance management process which includes objective setting, individual development plans, mid-year reviews and annual performance appraisals.
- Works with management in addressing performance issues and provides consultative support as required. This may include assisting managers with the development of performance improvement plans.
Learning & Development
- Supports managers in identifying learning and development opportunities and resources, programs, and tools to support employees’ development.
- Partners with the Learning & Development team to assist in program development, facilitation, coordination/logistics, communication, and measurement of training effectiveness.
- Acts as primary contact for day-to-day HR employee issues including: advising management on employee and labour relations issues, overseeing or conducting investigations, interpreting policies, providing oversight on disciplinary letters/action, and counseling employees.
- Ensures compliance with various regulatory and legislative requirements, as well as trains managers in the same.
- Engages with the Labour Relations team on grievance management, collective bargaining, employment and labour policy development and labour strategy.
- Works with the business and appropriate company resources to resolve any litigation or legal issues.
- Supports implementation of corporate Human Resources programs and policies for the business.
- Anticipates and identifies issues and recommends solutions to resolve.
Compensation & Benefits
- With support from the Compensation & Benefits team, coordinates compensation and benefits activities such as bonus, merit increases, special pays, tuition reimbursement, compensation analysis, and job evaluation.
- Understands local market conditions to ensure fair and equitable pay practices.
Project Management & Team Objectives
- Works collaboratively across the Country and with HR team on assigned projects
- Uses a professional project management approach to complete assigned projects, including: establishing the project parameters, deadlines, budget, and methodologies.
Analytics & Process Improvements
- Provides key analytics and information on area of responsibility to support business objectives, monthly reports and HR dashboard.
- Continues to look for ways to streamline and improve HR processes, not only in the area, but across the Country.
- Works with the HR Shared Services group to identify and implement processes necessary to eliminate duplication of work and reduce overall administrative burden.
RELATIONSHIPS WITH OTHER JOBS:
- Reports to a Human Resources Director.
- Partners with market area VPGM
- Strong relationship with General Managers within the client group.
- High level of interaction with Operations Managers.
- Collaborative relationship with Country HR and HR Shared Services team
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelors degree.
- 7-10 years of progressive HR generalist experience. Must have demonstrated leadership experience, as well as exposure to OD/OE.
- Combination of HR / Operational background.
- HR Certification is an added advantage.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of the business
- Highly skilled in execution and results-oriented
- Knowledge of all aspects of human resources
- Expertise in talent acquisition, assessment and development
- Demonstrated, communication, negotiation and influencing skills
- Pragmatic and principled - focus on the right balance between operational excellence and employee development
- Awareness of political and organizational dynamics and realities
- Systems knowledge (Microsoft Office, Workday, Google, iCims etc.)
Pre-employment medical including drug & alcohol testing and a criminal record check may be required.
Through LafargeHolcim’s 2030 Plan, Lafarge is committed to providing solutions using sustainable manufacturing practices and improving the environment in and around its operations. The company has a sixty year history in Canada and works continually to reduce carbon dioxide emissions, restore wetlands for native plants and animals, and identify waste materials that can be recycled and used in our operations.