ABOUT THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY
Kipnik is seeking motivated Apprentices to participate in our Inuit Training and Development Program (ITDP). The program, which benefits communities within the Comprehensive Lands Claim Agreements (CLCA), recruits, develops and trains Inuit Beneficiaries (IBs) for fulfilling employment in the North. Apprentices in the program will develop valuable skills though paid, hands-on training in their trade under the mentorship of a qualified Journeyperson.
The HVAC Apprentice is located in Inuvik, NT, Cambridge Bay, NU, Hall Beach, NU, Iqaluit, NU and Goose Bay, NL and typically reports directly to the Logistic Support Site Manager.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Installation and maintenance of building HVAC equipment and systems; assists in the diagnoses of HVAC equipment and systems
- Installation, maintenance, and repair of refrigeration, cooling/air conditioning units.
- Installation and maintenance of fan coil units and air handling units including filter changes, bearing changes and drive belt replacement
- Installation and maintenance of exhaust fans and controls, hot water, chilled water and domestic water circulating pump; rebuilds pumps as required
- Assists in the maintenance and repair of hot water boilers
- Maintenance and repair of roof top package air conditioning with hot water, electric or gas heating and associated control devices
- Maintain equipment rooms, shops, vehicles and tools
- Document and maintain facilities files as related to the work management system, work plans, field/incident reports, data analysis, etc.
- Provide assistance to apprentices and other trades as required
- Ability to work under physically demanding, often adverse weather conditions in remote Arctic locations
- Must be able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Communicates Effectively
- Continuous Learning
- Holds Self and Others Accountable
- Problem Solving and Innovation
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- High school diploma or equivalent
SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Standard First Aid trained with CPR Level A and hold a valid certificate
- Must already hold a Reliability Clearance or be eligible to obtain one. Approval of security clearance by the Canadian Industrial Security Directorate is a condition of employment
- Hold a valid class ‘G' driver's license, or provincial/territorial equivalent
- Customer service and detail oriented
- Excellent written and verbal skills (English) Proficient user of:
- MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook
- Must possess serviceable safety boots that meet standards for workplace safety
- Must be willing and able to travel
- Must be comfortable working in and flying to remote Arctic locations via helicopter and /or smaller fixed wing aircraft
Kipnik is equal opportunity employer and we welcome and encourage a diversity of applicants. Through on-the-job training, apprenticeships and skills development, we are committed to providing meaningful and sustainable economic benefits for Inuit and Inuvialuit Beneficiaries and their communities. If you are a Land Claim Beneficiary from the Nunatsiavut, Nunavut or Inuvialuit Settlement Region you are encouraged to submit your resume.
Kipnik welcomes and encourages applications from persons with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.