INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT III
TUTOR & ACADEMIC COACH, ENGLISH & WRITING
The Tutorial & Academic Coaching team works in the bustling Learner Centre. We provide learning support services to foundational and post-secondary students via multiple delivery channels, including drop-in Tutoring and Academic Coaching; Writing Centre services; and coaching appointments for students referred by Disability Services. NorQuest is a growing and dynamic organization, and the Tutorial & Coaching team provide support to students from an expanding number of program areas - from Academic Upgrading and English language training, to diploma programs, such as Practical Nurse and Business Administration. We are located in the beautiful Learner Centre within the new Singhmar Centre for Learning. This is a very exciting time to be at NorQuest!
You will have the opportunity to experiment with varied approaches to instructional support and the opportunity to innovate, as we transform our services to meet the college’s strategic goals and the call for Indigenization.
If you are a passionate and knowledgeable educator who is flexible, innovative, and interested in expanding content knowledge and skill-sets, consider joining our team of professional and creative educators! You will work within a supportive team of fellow English/Writing educators and have access to a wide variety of professional development opportunities.
LEARNING SUPPORT VALUES:
- Universal Design in service structures and learning approaches; removing barriers and facilitating self-regulation and independence in learners
- Indigenization and inclusive learning environments
- Transformational innovation that moves beyond traditional practices in learning support services
- Evidence-based practice in the application of learning theory
- Excellence in customer service
- A safe learning and working environment for students and staff
Reporting to the Manager, Learning Support, the Tutor & Academic Coach (English and Writing) provides tutoring and academic coaching for students taking English, humanities, social sciences, and other courses, including those students referred for accommodation by Disability Services. This position provides drop-in and appointment-based service to students in-person and online.
This is a full-time, permanent position that works weekday, daytime shifts.
Provide tutoring and academic coaching support to students
- assess learning needs and collaborate with students to facilitate content mastery and build individualized learning strategy toolkits that support independence and self-regulation
- provide a safe, inclusive, and holistic learning experience for all learners
Liaise with teaching faculty, Learner Centre staff, Disability Services, and other college areas to provide wrap-around academic support
- build strong, collaborative relationships with those areas within an assigned liaison portfolio
- maintain close working relationships with Library staff and Disability Services in the integrated Learner Centre service environment
Implement projects and initiatives that support students’ academic success
- contribute to, or lead, the development, implementation, and evaluation of projects and initiatives, such as remedial support initiatives with program areas, and collaborative initiatives with Disability Services.
Contribute to on-going quality improvement in educational practice and service excellence
- contribute to the evolution and innovation of best practices, tools, and resources that support educational practice and excellence in customer service
- engage in development opportunities, both internally and externally, as part of performance development planning, including peer learning and case conferencing
Contribute to operational excellence
- lead, or participate in, various operational functions, such as promotions and scheduling
- capture accurate usage metrics for the purposes of decision-making and reporting
- A Graduate degree is required (MEd, MA, or related); degree in Education (at the undergraduate or graduate level) is preferred
- Specialization is required in English and writing (inclusive of foundational language learning and academic writing), with applied knowledge of learning theory
- Minimum of 2 years related experience, working with adult learners, inclusive of those who are ESL, those with disabilities, and those with other barriers to learning
- Equivalent education and related experience may also be considered
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written) is required
SALARY: $59,380 - $77,106 per annum. Salary will commensurate based on related education and experience. This is a permanent position which includes immediate enrolment in our benefits and pension plan.
COMPETITION NUMBER: 2019-2410
TO APPLY: If you meet the requirements of this position and wish to apply please continue with this on-line process.
NOTE: Notification of receipt will only be made to on-line applicants. Candidates selected for interview will be contacted within 28 days.
NorQuest College helps students unlock their potential and realize their dreams. We are Challenge Positive and embrace every situation as an opportunity. As the Edmonton region’s community college, we play an integral role in Alberta’s education system. NorQuest College offers a vibrant, inclusive, diverse, and student-centred learning environment that transforms lives and strengthens communities. We are nationally recognized leaders in health, community studies, and business post-secondary career programs, as well as foundational, intercultural, and language training. We are proud to offer our employees meaningful work, competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits program, and a commitment to a positive work/life balance. This is an exciting time to be a part of NorQuest College. Take a step forward with us. Together, we can help build and sustain a strong province for future generations.